Sevrums kissing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
Well, she's not too small if she laid eggs. The green, judging by long pointed dorsal & anal fins, looks male. He needs to get bigger & wised up on what to do. I think she's getting impatient with his lack of readiness...as in come on you idiot, get with the program!
Thank you! Does the male readiness just come with age? Is there anything I should be doing to help them? They’re in a tank with a pleco and 2 barbs. The last time she laid eggs so did a very good just protecting them and didn’t let anyone near them.. so I’m wondering if maybe she didn’t let the male fertilize the eggs? I’m very new to fish reproduction. So any tips will help ?

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Well a female will usually choose a male that's larger than her that can protect the fry.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think it's just a matter of time until he grows old enough. Watch for fighting...Can he get away from her in your tank? Hide in caves or behind wood or fake plants? I have never bred sevs but new world cichlids are pretty similar in breeding behavior.

Then, if they do spawn, do you have a plan? They'll likely care for fry for a week or 2 if they don't eat the eggs. Sometimes it takes a few tries. But most want to breed again (& again), & fry care will stop. It's very difficult to raise even a couple fry in a community tank. You might just enjoy the breeding & not worry about saving any fry...

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
I think it's just a matter of time until he grows old enough. Watch for fighting...Can he get away from her in your tank? Hide in caves or behind wood or fake plants? I have never bred sevs but new world cichlids are pretty similar in breeding behavior.

Then, if they do spawn, do you have a plan? They'll likely care for fry for a week or 2 if they don't eat the eggs. Sometimes it takes a few tries. But most want to breed again (& again), & fry care will stop. It's very difficult to raise even a couple fry in a community tank. You might just enjoy the breeding & not worry about saving any fry...
There is plenty of hiding spots in their tank ? They were in a “community” tank, but we’re downsizing their tank and we have a 2nd 60 gallon tank for our African cichlids. We also have a 20 gallon tank in case any of the eggs do hatch. We’re not TRYING to breed them, but if it happens we’re prepared for it. One of our local pet stores told us they’d buy and babies that live and give us in store credit.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
So what in the 60 gal besides the severums?

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
what kind of pleco? Most plecos will eat eggs.

Lindsay1202

AC Members
May 11, 2020
what kind of pleco? Most plecos will eat eggs.
Just a regular hypostomus. We’ve been told the pleco will eat the eggs. But both of the times our gold sevrum laid eggs the pleco didn’t touch the eggs. The female sevrum does a really good job guarding the eggs. We had to physically remove the eggs this past time because none of them were fertilized and she was guarding them for almost a week.

Reactions: angelcraze

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Ok. Can I get a pic of the pleco?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store