Sexing Balloon Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slink

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
1 is a male, 2 is a female, 3 I think is also a female but not one of the pair that has been established
Thanks for sharing your opinion! I was guessing the same, especially about #1. We'll have to wait to find out. I was going to give one back and just stick with 2 in the 16 gallon but, oddly enough, with the two there was one dominant that wouldn't stop chasing the other around the tank. With the third (#1) back in the tank, there is a balancing of the chasing and they each go to their own places after some chasing, one on each vegetation area and the third in the cave in the middle. They are extremely fascinating fish and, when they get a little larger and I move to a bigger place, I'll move to a larger tank.

slink

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Pretty hard to be sure. Here's a site that talks a little bit about sexing of the balloon rams. http://www.geocities.com/yutaka_loo/index.html
It is so funny because that was the FIRST page I looked before I got them. I still can't see a difference from the small pictures but I understand where he's going with it.

I decided to keep number 1 and 2 since number 3 always had his dorsal fin clenched. Dumping him out of the tank has made the cories very happy and it seems 1 and 2 have chosen their sides of the tank and don't chase each other much at all. Time to take #3 back now and I'll see what else I'll get. Thanks everyone for your help and it looks like my tank has a great equilibrium and all the fish are acting very happy and lively.

slink

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
They gave me another Julii Cory at the store instead or Ram #3 although I think it's a Leopardus and hope that doesn't cause too much of a problem. Right now the two balloon rams are doing just fine and loving their new home and the ramming is MUCH better than before. Not as much chasing with #1 doing it to #2 a bit but bearable. The cories are more active again. Final tank setup for the 16 gallon tall is:

2 German Blue Balloon Rams
4 Corydoras Trillineatus/Leopardus (4/0 or 3/1)
2 Otocinclus
2 Bumble Bee Gobies

Thanks so much guys. I think we'll be happy for a while assuming I can keep the plants under control now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store