shark catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bubbles_1505

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
I've got an establish tropical freshwater fish tank with a variety of easily kept fish (swordtails, platies, danios etc.) However I want to branch out and get a second tank and I am keen to keep shark catfish.

Can someone tell me please the basic requirements about keeping shark catfish? ie. how many to keep, what sort of ornaments should be kept in the tank, rocks, wood, plants etc?

Are these fish very difficult to keep?

Many thanks for any advice on keeping these fish
Cheers

:D :D :D

kbaker721

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
PA
Visit site
If you're talking about the shark cats (white tip or black tip or colombian cats - take your pick on a name), I have two of them in my 55 gal cichlid tank. They are by far two of my favorite fw fish. I have had them about 1.5 yrs now and have gone from about 1.5" to about 6" now. They are really beautiful and my pair do fine - they like to "hang" out together.
They are active swimmers and swim constantly - they swim in place most of the time.

Anyway I really like my two - they don't like strong light - they swim mostly when the tank lights are off. And they do like to hang out under my fake tree root when the lights are on.

THey are easy to care for and can actually be accustomed to being placed in sw tanks (so I have seen and have been told - on this forum) - they are brackish water fish, but I don't have a brackish tank and they are doing better than fine. I think you just have to establish them when they are young/little into a stable tank. I do add a little fw salt to the tank every once in a while, but it usually doesn't even register on the hydrometer. Well that is a lot to read so I am going to stop now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store