Shark help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zero

Shark Bait
Jan 5, 2006
EL Paso , Tx
Well for aslong as i can remeber i always wanted a shark. Going many times to zoo's ans such and seeing there sharks swim and on discovery ive just became refasanated about them. Well what i was wondering is if someone could answer some question for me cause i dont want to just jump in agian like i did with my boa. not saying she is dead or anythign cause she is healthy and alive just i jumped in with out know anything and ran into alot of bumps on are way. So back the the subject my questions r of the folowing:
1. Wut size tank would i need for a bamboo shark ?
2. Other then they get big and need big homes y do yall say there for experts only ?
3. Is there any special things about sharks i should know before diving in as u could say lol ?
4. Are there any books out that yall could recromend from previous experience ?
5. Wut are the major needs of a shark manly a bamboo but any info on any type would help ?
6. My main question is how do you make a sw home for a shark ? and if you could go into detail about how it would be helpfull.
7. And lastly just share and basic nowledge yall might have perferably on bamboo but any shark would be apreciated.

Thnx in Advance
Redmond

P.S
Im sorry if i didnt spell all words corectly. im not the best speller out there so i hope yall can understand my typeinth. and thnx again.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
1. 200 would be that absolute minimum, and bigger would be better.
2. Sharks have speciliazed feeding needs, really limit tankmates, and honestly do not thrive in home aquaria.
3. Life expectancy, feeding costs, difficulties in finding a home for the pet down the line.
4. Sharks and Rays is an excellent resource.
5. Large tanks, clean water, good and varied food.
6. Basically, the same process as setting up any saltwater system, but larger.

zero

Shark Bait
Jan 5, 2006
EL Paso , Tx
Thnx and the help above was apreciated. I hope this question hasnt been asked before and im reposting it so sorry if it has. But im completly new at this never even had a fishy for a pet lol. But my question is How would u make a saltwater home for a shark. Cause i dont know anything realy about home aquariams. Ive been trying to find out for myself by searching yahoo and google , but cant seem to come up with a guid that tells u what u would need and how to set it up and a price range for all of it and wut will be needed later on.

Well thnx in advance
Redmond

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are threads here about setting up an aquarium. There are also a number of good books--The Concientious Aquariast is a good one, but there are others--check the Marine Archives here.

And please, go slow. Sharks really are not well suited for aquariums, and jumping in will likely result in fatalities.

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
Agree with OG take it slow maybe try keeping a marine tank (smaller version 55g or so) first to see if you can handle the maintainance, I can see the draw of sharks, mans natural fear of such animals makes them so attractive,

a lionfish maybe something to try, also a predator but somewhat easier to keep / provide a sufficent home for, alot of smaller sharks i have seen in home aquaria are nocturnal spending most of the day behind rockwork, so the romance of keeping a shark may be replaced with "I wish I could see my shark!"

Fenner the author of Concientious Aquariast also write articles for a website that has a section for sharks / rays www.wetwebmedia.com check that out/

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Apart from what's already been said:

• Sharks require very low light
  • perfect water quality
  • around 65% die as a baby in captivity from starving themselves to death.

Good Luck!! :dive2:

zero

Shark Bait
Jan 5, 2006
EL Paso , Tx
Thnx for the replys and i understand ur answers , but dont worry im not no were close buying or geting any of this stuff. just learning the facts for now and geting more interested in it. but any more information yall can give me would gratfuly be apreciated cause as i stated in my first post i dont want to jump into this like i did with my boa.

Thnx in advaced
Redmond

Last edited:

zero

Shark Bait
Jan 5, 2006
EL Paso , Tx
Yea i read from the link yall gave me that you can have mates in your tank as long as there bigger then the shark can swallow. So if anyone could tell me a few fish that get i guess medium size it would help out alot.

As always thnx in advance
Redmond

Last edited:

zero

Shark Bait
Jan 5, 2006
EL Paso , Tx
Ive been reading about the diffrent types of homes for a shark. In my case a Banded Bamboo Shark. Well the thing is on some sites it says to put just live rock and out of that make like a tunnel for they can swim in a circle with no problems also its a place for they can hide/sleep in, but on other sites it says its good to have reef since they r shallow water shark. Well wut im confused on is from wut i read Bamboo sharks like to climb up onto rocks so i would say the best would be live rock since reefs can be sharp and might hurt the animal. So ive been trying to find opions on the diffrent setups but i havnt had any luck so i was hopeing maybe someone on the forums could help by telling me about both and the good and the bads.

Thnx in Advance
Redmond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store