shood i give plecos another chance?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shood i give plecos 1 last chace?

• yes

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • no

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I think I would avoid a pleco altogether in a 10 gallon tank. If you need a alage eating fish why not look at ottos instead. They stay very small and do a very good job of eating algae. Wait until you have a big tank before you even get a small pleco.

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
All fish (not just plecos) are capable of bringing disease into your tank, therfore a quarantine tank is a good thing to have. If you have the space for a pleco, why don't you try and find one that won't get very big and give it a shot. You may find that it will be one of your favorite fish. :)

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
tkos i c wut u meen and i am getting a bigger tank very soon so i will be moving it into that tank wen it gets big enough. (if i do get it)

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
wuts an otto?

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
cool

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would hold off until you get a bigger tank before buying the pleco. They produce a lot of waste and can foul up a small tank quickly. Plus I planned on getting a bigger tank and was ready to buy some new fish to get them ready for the big tank. Well 1 year later and my tank isn't here yet. I have just finally been able to afford it and should have it in a month or so. If I had bought the fish i wanted I would have a rather overstocked and crowed tank right now.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Why even get a pleco for a ten gallon? You don't even know if you are getting a larger tank. You should always stick with smaller plecos (rubbernose, bristle nose, clown) in anything under 55 gallons. But in a ten gallon, no 5" super pooper pleco will do well. Try 2 oto catfish. They are small algae eaters.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I even like the common plecos even though they do get REAL big. What else is already in your small tank? The less you move your fish the better. Wait until you get your larger tank before getting anything else.

yellowfreckles

lucid dreamer
Jan 17, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO.
Real Name
Debra
Just say no

I voted no simply because whether it is a common or a small rubberlip, they produce way to much waste for a 10 gallon. My bristlenose makes the substrate sooo dirty that I sometimes do gravel vacs 2 a week. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love him, even though I hardly see him.

BTW, don't you have an Oscar in your tank already?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store