Should I add more fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaSplendens

AC Members
Aug 17, 2021
North America (Pennsylvania)
So right now I have a 17-gallon tank housing a male betta, 2 corydoras, 4 Cardinal Tetra, and a few shrimp. It's pretty well-stocked I guess. The betta stays on the top, the tetra in the middle and the catfish on the bottom. And I'm wondering- should I add more fish? I'm thinking of a pleco or some other small schooling fish to add in the tank. Much help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Not sure you should but if you do you should either increase the number of cory or cardinals. Both prefer larger schools. I would not add another species. Also the betta might object to new visitors if they are a different species. No telling there as it cmes down to specific fish personalities.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would positively identify what species of cory you have before trying tio add to anything.

my instinct is that the tank is pretty full already, I would also worry about keeping shrimp with a betta also.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
On hind sight unless your cory are one of the pygmy breeds i would not add more cory; the tank is just too small. However you could consider adding 2 or 3 more cardinals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store