Should I remove this snail of my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Casra

AC Members
Mar 12, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new to both the forum and the fish keeping thing. I have a 5 gallon tank with a bunch of small fish, a few days ago I added a few plants to the tank and today I realized i have brought an uninvited guest home, at first I wanted to take it out, but then I thought to myself if I could check it out if it's even bad for the fish or anything! So I'd appreciate if anyone could help me to know what type of snail is it or if it's harmful?

IMG_20200313_005859.jpg

IMG_20200313_005851.jpg

IMG_20200313_005815.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It appears to be a Ramshorn snail and is not harmful to your fish or aquarium.

Could you also post a full tank shot (FTS) of your aquarium? The rocks look fairly large which will allow uneaten food and fish poop to accumulate quickly.

How long has your tank been set up? Are you familiar with testing the aquarium water to be sure it is safe for fish?

Casra

AC Members
Mar 12, 2020
Thanks , yes the rocks are damn big , it's my first tank and i had no idea what type of gravel should i use when I was setting up, it's running for about 3 months. I'll put the pic as soon as I can.

Casra

AC Members
Mar 12, 2020
It appears to be a Ramshorn snail and is not harmful to your fish or aquarium.

Could you also post a full tank shot (FTS) of your aquarium? The rocks look fairly large which will allow uneaten food and fish poop to accumulate quickly.

How long has your tank been set up? Are you familiar with testing the aquarium water to be sure it is safe for fish?
Should I be worried about it breeding to be a big number of snails?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's easy to remove them they aren't fast ;)
and if you can't find them leave a thin slice of zucchini overnight and in the morning they are all on it.
Snails might help with uneaten food between those rocks, I see some seashells as well, that is not a good thing for your neons as they raise the pH.

Reactions: Casra

Casra

AC Members
Mar 12, 2020
It's easy to remove them they aren't fast ;)
and if you can't find them leave a thin slice of zucchini overnight and in the morning they are all on it.
Snails might help with uneaten food between those rocks, I see some seashells as well, that is not a good thing for your neons as they raise the pH.
Really? I had no idean seashells could mess with the pH, I'll take them out. Thanks for the tips

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Not all rocks are safe either, they can change water chemistry as well. The pebbles I see so far seem safe.

Casra

AC Members
Mar 12, 2020
Not all rocks are safe either, they can change water chemistry as well. The pebbles I see so far seem safe.
Well i tried to pick the seashells out, here's my setup, I'm a total beginner so any suggestions will be appreciated.

IMG_20200313_090256.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No problem at all being a beginner, that is why we the old folks are here, to help them out !
The light seems awfully small, do you have any specifications on that (Watts, Lumens, Kelvin,..)?
You better replace the substrate, this is impossible to clean and it isn't doing anything for the plants. Don't worry it can be done with the fish still in the tank. The best substrate is 2mm to 3mm size (so coarse sand or fine gravel). Dark or black will make the fish more at ease and show their colors best. ±1" max height. The rocks are used for aquascaping, you can use them for decoration, maybe make a couple of mountains of them but you want like 2/3rd to be the right substrate for vacuuming and the plants. After removing the rocks, rinse the substrate very well before putting in, until the water that comes off is clean. Then put it in a plastic cup, lower gently in the tank and slowly pour it out over the bottom. Then put the plants back in and the rocks/pebbles you want for decoration. If you have more questions just ask..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store