Show me fake can look as good as real plants!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
I want a large planted aquarium, but purely for aesthetic appeal. I take no joy in trimming and dosing, but I do what I have to. While I put up with it in my low light small tanks, the prices on substrates, CO2 setups and lighting for the 55 gallon I'm planning is FREAKING ME OUT. So, here's my request. Break out your cameras, and show me some gorgeous tanks with fake decor so I stop being afraid of it looking tacky like my kid's first tank did some years back. Thanks for the help!

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
As I am a REAL plant enthusiast....... Its virtually impossible to get the same look or feel from a fake plant. Ive seen tons of attempts including the videos above. For me I just dont like them. Real plants have a movement, a flow, a look. In a proper set up plants can pearl. Each to their own but. To get the look of real IMO Real is the only way to go.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Why not go low light, slow grow with no CO2 in the 55 ? I did this with my 46BF, and it doesn't look bad. I use liquid ferts 1x per week, and I may have to trim the Amazon sword back every 4 or 5 months. Very low maintenance - which fits me perfectly ! Good luck.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Some of my fake plants look real, but over time they accumulate algae, even with otos and plecos. So then it's either time for some major, tedious scrubbing, or to purchase new ones. I have found my low light plants such as java ferns or large anubias look good all the time with little maintenance, no special substrates, and no fertilizers.

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
Like others said above nothing compares to real plants. Also like above go with a low light setup. I think if you go with fake plants you'll regret it.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Because you mentioned...
"the prices on... is FREAKING ME OUT."

The best fake plants I came across were the silk type. And yes, you can make a very gorgeous tank with these.

But, here's the but's...

They are not anywhere close to cheap.
When I used to do fake plants. It would but like 2 or 3 of the small size. a couple of each of the two med. size, and a large. Just to make a real looking nice big plant. So thats around 50 bucks for one cool looking plant. Then I'd need to do this 3 or 4 more times to fill a 55. Plus around 10 more various others. Easily another 100 bucks.

Thats easily a quick 200 spent on the low end, for a gorgeous fake plant tank. But more like 275-300 for what I mentioned.

Then you'll want to put whatever was spent this time, into your budget to do it over and over every 6 months. Algae isn't the easiest thing to clean off of a silk plant. And with just normal cleaning they'll end up fraying with in a couple of months, etc, etc.

Example of a "cheaper" plastic plant...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20750+7393+19771&pcatid=19771
2 x 18" = 2x 5.99 = 11.98
2 x 15" = 2x 4.99 = 9.98
3 x 12" = 3x 3.99 = 11.97
1 x 9" = 1x 2.99 = 2.99
3 x 6" = 3x 1.99 = 5.97
--------------------
1 Georgous plant = $42.98

I'm still very new to real plants. But I plan on figuring them out, way before I'll ever buy another plastic plant.

The 55g in my sig was my first real attempt with live plants.(tank broke not long after I got started with the live plants). I think it's kinda sorta leaning towards georgous. That what I had in mind for it's future anyway.
That's prob around 50 bucks worth of live plants. But would prob cost over 200 for fakes, that would need replaced in a few months.

Like I said at the start, just wanted to toss out some "Cost" thoughts. ;)

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Because you mentioned...
"the prices on... is FREAKING ME OUT."

The best fake plants I came across were the silk type. And yes, you can make a very gorgeous tank with these.

But, here's the but's...

They are not anywhere close to cheap.
When I used to do fake plants. It would but like 2 or 3 of the small size. a couple of each of the two med. size, and a large. Just to make a real looking nice big plant. So thats around 50 bucks for one cool looking plant. Then I'd need to do this 3 or 4 more times to fill a 55. Plus around 10 more various others. Easily another 100 bucks.

Thats easily a quick 200 spent on the low end, for a gorgeous fake plant tank. But more like 275-300 for what I mentioned.

Then you'll want to put whatever was spent this time, into your budget to do it over and over every 6 months. Algae isn't the easiest thing to clean off of a silk plant. And with just normal cleaning they'll end up fraying with in a couple of months, etc, etc.

Example of a "cheaper" plastic plant...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20750+7393+19771&pcatid=19771
2 x 18" = 2x 5.99 = 11.98
2 x 15" = 2x 4.99 = 9.98
3 x 12" = 3x 3.99 = 11.97
1 x 9" = 1x 2.99 = 2.99
3 x 6" = 3x 1.99 = 5.97
--------------------
1 Georgous plant = $42.98

I'm still very new to real plants. But I plan on figuring them out, way before I'll ever buy another plastic plant.

The 55g in my sig was my first real attempt with live plants.(tank broke not long after I got started with the live plants). I think it's kinda sorta leaning towards georgous. That what I had in mind for it's future anyway.
That's prob around 50 bucks worth of live plants. But would prob cost over 200 for fakes, that would need replaced in a few months.

Like I said at the start, just wanted to toss out some "Cost" thoughts. ;)
I've kept fake plants before, and they did not need replacing every 6 months. Also, I realize the start up cost of fake plants, but they still don't need the $150 dollar or more lighting, the CO2 setup, the substrate that costs me $275.00 vs $55.00 for 110 lbs, and that doesn't even get into the fertilizers and other things I have to buy every month. And yes, to everybody else, I KNOW that fake plants don't move and look as real as fake. I don't really need convincing of that. I've kept 3 tanks with live plants. The lighting that comes in the setups I've been looking at is one watt per gallon, often LESS. I don't think even anubias and java fern would be happy with that. Also, I like more variety in plants than that, especially in a 4 foot long tank. So, while I totally appreciate where everyone is coming from, please stop trying to convince me otherwise, and let's just post some more lovely photos, okay? Thank you so much! Especially to the awesome videos and pics I've seen already. Keep them coming! I love inspiration. Also, if anyone knows where to get the fake plants those guys are using in the videos from the first reply, please let me know. They look way better than the stuff I've see online and in my local shops. :)

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I'm not 100% certain on this but the plants in the videos look like regular artificial plants you buy in a craft/hobby shop. I know there is a store chain around here called Hobby Lobby that has the little grass like ones and the way the stem is in them leads me to believe this. I have often seen these types of "plants" used in tanks.

You will have to post pics of your completed project!! I have seen many a tank with artificial that looks beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store