Show some love to artificial plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I think that tank is scaped beautifully! The only issues I've had with artificial plants is they eventually look shabby from algae and bio film growth and they can eventually come apart. Natural, nice looking big fake plants are expensive too!

The only tank I keep a few plastic plants in is my oscar and sev tank. It's comical to watch the severum pick them up and move them around.
Thank you, I’m this
Looks great. I always got diatoms on mine and was a pain to keep clean.
Thank you, I get some algae on mine but my rainbow cichlids and BNs eat some of it and leave just enough to dull the color down which makes them look more real IMO

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Its a photo from when first out together after a water change (clouded water from the Equilibrium, clouds it for a day), ill get a photo once I change out the filters this coming week...

But my goldfish and livebearer tank. Only live plants are in the breeder net for nitrate control, otherwise the snails and goldfish eat them lol

Id love live plants in this one too, but it is what it is lol my 5 year old picked out the fake ones too, so of course you know what he went with. Brightest colours he could lol

I love planted tanks, personally, and I'd rather do live in all of them, but thats not always how it works lol I like the goldfish and snails so...
20201210_230735.jpg

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Its a photo from when first out together after a water change (clouded water from the Equilibrium, clouds it for a day), ill get a photo once I change out the filters this coming week...

But my goldfish and livebearer tank. Only live plants are in the breeder net for nitrate control, otherwise the snails and goldfish eat them lol

Id love live plants in this one too, but it is what it is lol my 5 year old picked out the fake ones too, so of course you know what he went with. Brightest colours he could lol

I love planted tanks, personally, and I'd rather do live in all of them, but thats not always how it works lol I like the goldfish and snails so...
View attachment 228591
Haha nice!!
My daughter did the same thing except everything was pink and purple I like live plants but all my fish would eat them or destroy them except the wolf, which might get live some day

Reactions: NoodleCats

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
To be honest, I have never really liked artificial decorations in aquariums, not even when I was a beginner. Just yesterday I was thinking about that after seeing a newbie's aquarium with a lot of toy pieces inside his tank, I just thought that if it had artificial plants and natural gravel then it would look better, the guy was furious defending his position of "is my aquarium and I put whatever I want ", I think that is totally reprehensible out of respect for the species that are going to be kept and their needs. BUT, I suppose that if a person prefers artificial decorative elements in their aquarium it's acceptable, as long as they do not stray so far from the natural theme, so, an aquarium with natural gravel, some artificial plants and some rocks for shelter is acceptable, this way the fish will not feel so uncomfortable. Personally I would use artificial plants only in quarantine.

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
To be honest, I have never really liked artificial decorations in aquariums, not even when I was a beginner. Just yesterday I was thinking about that after seeing a newbie's aquarium with a lot of toy pieces inside his tank, I just thought that if it had artificial plants and natural gravel then it would look better, the guy was furious defending his position of "is my aquarium and I put whatever I want ", I think that is totally reprehensible out of respect for the species that are going to be kept and their needs. BUT, I suppose that if a person prefers artificial decorative elements in their aquarium it's acceptable, as long as they do not stray so far from the natural theme, so, an aquarium with natural gravel, some artificial plants and some rocks for shelter is acceptable, this way the fish will not feel so uncomfortable. Personally I would use artificial plants only in quarantine.
Personally I don’t find live plants worth the effort, I’ll put the tank i pictured up against any planted tank as far as water quality, health of fish and looks.
That being said live plants are not possible with a lot of fish. As far as toy decorations, they’re harmless, they’re just another innate object for BB to grow on like a rock or wood
I don’t think people are getting the point of this post, it’s not to debate live vs artificial, it’s to show off pics of artificially decorated tanks and to see what people have come up with
So let’s see those pics

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
A few years back I had a 15-gallon tall tank that had a Halloween theme, mainly so my wife would quit bugging me about all my tanks being full of rocks, sand, and boring fish, and complaining about not having any "pretty" fish. Not to mention she loves Halloween. It had black gravel, two glow-in the- dark skull cave decorations (one with a large skull and the other with four or five skulls). All the plants were black, red, orange and purple. It had ghost shrimp, two red black-wag platies, two rescued glass catfish, one rescued yellow black skirt tetra glo-fish, and five green danio glo-fish. I know I have a pic somewhere cuz I uploaded all my pics from my phone when I got a new one, but I can't find it. If I do, I'll post it.

At the time I felt bad about putting the glass catfish in it cuz they were about 4" long, but I didn't have anywhere else to put them with all my Africans. they are pretty mellow and not especially active though. They ended up living for several more years and looked like two ghosts hovering in the middle of the tank.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
A few years back I had a 15-gallon tall tank that had a Halloween theme, mainly so my wife would quit bugging me about all my tanks being full of rocks, sand, and boring fish, and complaining about not having any "pretty" fish. Not to mention she loves Halloween. It had black gravel, two glow-in the- dark skull cave decorations (one with a large skull and the other with four or five skulls). All the plants were black, red, orange and purple. It had ghost shrimp, two red black-wag platies, two rescued glass catfish, one rescued yellow black skirt tetra glo-fish, and five green danio glo-fish. I know I have a pic somewhere cuz I uploaded all my pics from my phone when I got a new one, but I can't find it. If I do, I'll post it.

At the time I felt bad about putting the glass catfish in it cuz they were about 4" long, but I didn't have anywhere else to put them with all my Africans. they are pretty mellow and not especially active though. They ended up living for several more years and looked like two ghosts hovering in the middle of the tank.

WYite
Haha nice!! Hopefully you find those pics

Reactions: Sprinkle

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Its a bit late, but all fresh and cleaned up, clouded water from fresh Equilibrium again (every water change lol) 20210105_235912.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store