Shrimp-proofing Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

supersudo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
you're forgetting White Cloud Mountain Minnows ... i've had them in my 2.5 gallon for the past 3 months and i still get plenty of RCS baby shrimps swimming around.. needless to say they are still breeding :)

i got them originally to take care of those unsightly white speck decapods and indeed they got rid of them and left my shrimp alone... pretty good deal :D

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I have "black" caridina shrimp probably the same babaulti, barely larger than RCS, in a community tank. There aren't a LOT of them, but they are obvious.

~70% of the bottom is planted, and there is a load of Java moss in there too.

I suspect a betta + RCS in a 10G would be fine with at least 40% of the tank full of cover...najas grass, java moss, hornwort, etc...

Give the shrimpies some cover.

Last edited:

supersudo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
I don't really wanna have just 3 White Clouds since I prefer that they have a school of their own. Thanks for the input!
yeh, that was the point of my post.. u can have a school of them because they are a schooling species and u have a bigger tank than i..

and from what i've read, they are very easy to breed and take care of. they are one of the only fish species that don't eat their fry (which is why i think they leave the shrimp alone)

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I keep my females with ghost shrimp and they are fine. The shrimp are much too fast and the females are usually about the same length as the shrimp. You just have to protect them for the molting process really. Something I should set up. Not that I care much about my shrimp they were for the bettas to eat originally.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I have a betta in my 36 with amano and rcs, the shimp seem to do fine, I have java moss for cover and it is a heavilly planted tank.

bettabeats

AC Members
May 14, 2009
I've bred cherries in a 10 gal with a betta, a swordtail, and some rasboras.

its possible, just give them lots of hiding places like under driftwood, in plants, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store