Shubunkin recovering from tank jump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finnegan

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, IL
Greetings,
I'm new on the forum and was hoping for some advice. I have a 4-inch Shubunkin goldfish that jumped tank 10 days ago. I found him on the floor, quite dry and stiff but still breathing. I put him back in the tank and he floated very stiffly, but right side up. I took him out and put him in quarantine with Stress Coat and Melafix, changing the water every 24 hours. Over the last 10 days a lot of dead skin and some of the fins have sloughed off, which I take as signs he is healing. He began showing interest in food yesterday and is eating again. He has regained all of his motion, although he lost much of his tail and the fins on the side that was against the floor.

His skin & scales seem to have sloughed off of the side that was against the floor. They seemed to come off in white cottony patches. I'm concerned because I understand that fungus can be a secondary infection. He has a white cottony in one area, and I'm not sure how to tell whether it's fungus or just the last of the dead skin coming off.

I've attached pictures of his healthy side, and the side that was against the floor. Quite a difference, isn't it?

Can anyone make any recommendations about how I should continue his treatment? Should I treat for fungus anyway?

Also, I've read that fins can grow back. If he survives, can I expect scales and fins to regrow? Is there anything I can do to help this? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks very much!

Finnegan

Floor side.jpg Healthy side.jpg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I take it the one one the left is before and the one on the right is after, following your treatment ?

He looks to be on the mend to me - you'd be amazed how the fins etc. can grow back given pristine water, and melafix is a great supplement to that.

Keep doing what you're doing, and fingers crossed.

I would also keep the lights in the QT off, and maybe cover it with a towel, if its in a busy area - keep him as stress free as possible.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Keep up with your frequent (daily) 25%-50% PWC's and since you are using Melafix, you might want to combine Pimafix (the anti-fungal med that also becomes a stronger antibacterial when combined with Melafix as a cocktail).

As long as the peduncle of the fin (where the fin connects to the flesh) is OK, the fin should grow back complete.

If you have some antibacterial food (I keep a bottle of Jungle Brand on hand), it wouldn't hurt to do that for 10 days as well.

After you feel he is completely healed, then you need to slowly acclimate him back to your main tank by adding some of the main tank water to your Q-tank so he can start building up his immunity to any bacteria (good and bad) in the tank. When you do your PWC's (after healing is complete) add 5-10% of the refill with your main tank water as part of the refill.

stephalpha

Stephalpha
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
:iagree: If you follow the good advice above your fish will be fine.

I had a black moor get stuck in an ornament before, and she scraped off all her scales. She was in rough shape, but she pulled through too!

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
good advice, is the fish still recoverig?

cmslick3

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
I had a Koi do this when I took them outside to the pond this spring. It jumped pond and landed in dirt, in direct sunlight, on a pretty warm day. I don't know how long he was there before I found him, but he was pretty dried out and barely breathing. He did lose some scales and I think a fin, I was more concerned with his eye which turned very cloudy. I picked him up and rinsed the dirt off and gently put him back into the pond. At first he was floating sideways and his pondmate came along side of him and swam him upright until he was able to do it on his own.

So several months later he seems to be fully healed, eating well and his eye is clear again. I didn't do anything special for him, so if you've been following the advice above your fish should be just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store