sick albino oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ahodg31

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
I only just got an albino oscar, he is looking very sick, lying on his side and just moving with the water flow. I have treated the water with 'broad spectrum' treatment for bacterial, fungal and parasitic diseases.. I don't know what to do to help him. The Ph is 7.4 and i have heaters

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
We need water params. Also, cycled tank? Whats your water change routine like?

What size of tank? What else is in there?

Any physical abnormalities? Pics would help immensly.

Sorry to bombard you with q's but we need all the info we can get to help diagnose the problem.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
exactly how long have you had him? "pouting" (lying on their side, not eating) is a common behavior when oscars are moved into new surroundings ot put in situations that they do not like. otherwise:

tank size?
tank mates (other fish in the tank)
ammonia?
nitrite?
nitrate?
what are you feeding?
exactly what physical symptoms aside from lying down? (strange redness, spots, cloudy eyes, excess slime coat, white poop, etc. . . )

ahodg31

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
the tank is approx 200L, there are two other baby oscars, we got all three on the Saturday just gone. Not sure about the nitrate. I am feeding them blood worms and Cichlid gold pellets. Tank was only set up 1 1/2 weeks ago, so no water change as yet but there are two filters to keep it clean. The fish itself doesn't look sick although he has white poo. There are no spots or visible abnomalies with him.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
first of all, the tank is too small for one oscar, let alone three. they may be itty bitty now, but they will reach 14". a single oscar needs a minimum of 75g (284L), simply to have enough space to turn around. without taking compatibility into consideration, 3 oscars should have at least 125g (473L).

second, you need to read up on cycling a tank. fish produce ammonia, which quickly become toxic in a new tank, and without water changes. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

third, white poop means internal parasites.

ahodg31

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
yes, i plan to move them into bigger tanks as they get bigger, i have only had them 2 days. I read that white poop means internal parasites so I have treated the tank with 'broad spectrum' it treats bacterial, fungal and parasitic diseases in freshawater aquarium fish, was this the right thing to do?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
yes, i plan to move them into bigger tanks as they get bigger, i have only had them 2 days. I read that white poop means internal parasites so I have treated the tank with 'broad spectrum' it treats bacterial, fungal and parasitic diseases in freshawater aquarium fish, was this the right thing to do?
So what is this medicine you were using? What are the active ingredients in it? I worry about meds being used without asking others first for more opinions, heaven knows how wide the range of diseases and treatments are.

ahodg31

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
I went to 3 dif pet shops before treating, all said pretty much the same thing to use. The active ingred are mafenide HCL, AminacrineHCL, and Malachite Green

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store