Sick angel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Seems like stress to me too. He's doing better today, though not as excited as he usually is when he sees the red cap of the Omega One flakes. He literally dances back and forth!

The move was 37 -> tub -> 55. I did not take water from the original tank, which may have been an issue, but I didn't take water from the 29 when I upgraded to the 37.

On a side note, should I feed my fish more? I know the gouramis feed faster than the angel, but I feed a variety of food 2-3 times a day. I primarily feed Omega One flakes, but I've also been adding freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, and frozen glassworms. Occasionally I'll feed the angel flakes from my fingers since he'll come to the top and eat them straight from my hand.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Ack, it's ammonia!!!

I went to take pictures of my tanks tonight and when I went upstairs to get a shot of the new 55, I noticed my angel was nose down in the corner of the tank - not good. I tested the water again and it's showing:

Ammonia - 1.0
Nitrite - 0.0
Nitrate 0 - 10 (dunno)

What would cause a full crash of my bio filter? I've done tank upgrades and moves before without issue, knowing that I have to keep my biological filter submerged. The only thing I can think of is that there was an unusual amount of bacteria in the floss (discarded) and the sponge (rinsed under the tap). I've treated the water with some Ammo Lock leftover from a used tank purchase and some Prime (didn't have enough AL for the whole tank). I don't have the time to do a WC tonight, it'll happen tomorrow.

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
beatle said:
The only thing I can think of is that there was an unusual amount of bacteria in the floss (discarded) and the sponge (rinsed under the tap). I've treated the water with some Ammo Lock leftover from a used tank purchase and some Prime (didn't have enough AL for the whole tank). I don't have the time to do a WC tonight, it'll happen tomorrow.
Well the majority of you good bacteria is in you filter. By tossing the floss and rinsing your sponge in tap water you killed/tossed most of you good bacteria. Rinsing the sponge is a good thing, but always rinse it using the old tank water. If you had time to post you had time to do a water change.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
You may want to cut back on the feeding a bit till the bio filter can re-establish. more food means more waste.

sounds like you may have removed too much of the pld nitrifying bacteria and they need to catch up.

keep monitoring your water and change as needed.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
I went home for lunch and the bacterial bloom is already subsiding. I was able to test for ammonia and it has dropped to 0.5 already. The fish seem active. Let's hope I don't undergo yet another cycle when I get my canister on Wednesday!

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
beatle said:
Please don't pretend to dictate what my schedule is. Thanks.
I wasn't trying to dictate your schedule. The simple fact is that you had enough time to test the water and enough time to post about parameters. If you had enough time to do that you had enough time to do a quick water change. It would have been better for your fish to have done the water change than to post. We can survive without knowing that your tank had an ammonia spike your fish may not have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store