Sick comet goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

txmustang

Registered Member
Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys before I go all the way with my info.wanting to be sure I am in the right spot ? I have a silver 8 yr old comet and on both sides of his body he has a red vein ( lateral ?)all the way across end to end and right at the base where the tail meets the body a red line going(up/down) and on the very bottom of his bottom fin there is a tiny bit of red/brown. He is still eating and seems to be active and seems ok. Any ideas would be great.Help !

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Have you tested the water? Comets get huge, over a foot long, and need really big aquariums and lots of water changes.

txmustang

Registered Member
Apr 24, 2012
SICK FISH NEW HOME

Yes but I think before I was up on this I may have had some bad water and yes you may be right. At this time I have 2 in a 12 gallon tank and trying to get a 30 gallon tank up and ready to use. Meanwhile I am checking water with API master kit and changing out to new water when I need. Unfortunately the tank they are in is not a cycled tank and they have been there for 2 weeks already. I did lose one and got another in his place , before seeing what was wrong. I have the thing from a healthy tanks filter and a bag of the same tanks water and its been 3 days and I wanted to know can I still use the good water from the bag or the filter ? Temp. has been in the house and constant. I do not want to make another mistake as it may very well take out my little guy as I have already made so many. He is only about 5 inches and his new friend about 3 ,head to tail .Help !

Last edited:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
You should post a thread in the General Freshwater section asking for help on cycling the new tank, this particular illness board doesn't seem to get much viewing.

You can definitely seed a new tank with the healthy filter from a cycled tank, it will speed up the cycling. Two comets in a 12 gallon is way overcrowded, I'd do 30% water changes every day until it's cycled, but you'll still need to do several a week once it is cycled. High ammonia and nitrates are killers. Some people would recommend even more water changes, goldfish poop constantly. Even in a 30 gallon tank you will have to eventually upgrade to a larger tank for the two comets, they are really more suited for ponds. But for now it's most important to keep their water as clean as possible. Are you adding a water conditioner when you do water changes to eliminate chorine?

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
3 Things that leads to your goldfish to look like that. 1 Water not cycle. 2 Bacteria infection. 3 Gill ***e common in goldfish and koi. Best thing to do is get your water tested first. It may not be the water cycle. Gill ***e are micro parasite that can not be seen human eyes on the gill. Only by a microscope. Gill ***e cause your fish to be more active and you can see it's head hit the ground or jump out of water for air to get rid of the parasite. Bacteria infection is cause when bad bacteria build up in your tank. Bacteria infection is hard to explain. For example. last year I notice my koi fish in my pond started look like that. I took the water to get tested at Petsmart. The water came out fine. I know that my koi did not have gill ***e because of the behavior. Than I read online that it can be bacteria infection cause by they waste in the pond. So I clean all the waste in the bottom of my pond and filters. Then add 2 cup of salt on one side of the pond to help the fishes out. In 4-5 days I noticed it going away. Hopefully this information helps you out. I not really sure what it is for you. But the best treatment is salt and a heater to your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store