Sick/Dying Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haleigh

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2018
We got my son a 45 gallon tank for his birthday last month. We got two angelfish, a rainbow shark, a small clown pleco and a larger pleco. All was going well until about a week ago. The angelfish would congregate in the top corner of the tank. We checked the temp, water quality, etc. And decided to do a 25% water change. They were fine for about a day and then back to the corner. We were going to purchase new testing strips, and when we came back they were swimming sideways and upside down. We added some tetra safe medication, but they died later that night. The small pleco died the next day. We tested the water again and the nitrites were high so we did another 25% water change and added more medication. Now our rainbow shark is acting odd and has a weird, almost milky white rash. What can we do? Any advice please as my son loves his rainbow shark!

Screenshot_2018-03-23-12-40-22.png

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in? What is your maintenance schedule like?

Haleigh

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2018
We had the tank set up for a couple days, with the safe start medication, before we added any fish. We do testing and water changes every 2 weeks, and plan on changing out the filter every month. Did we not set up the tank correctly before adding fish? The people at the fish store we spoke to assured us it was fine, but it seems like we didn't.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Check out the sticky at the top of the freshwater newbie forum: https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/

There's a whole biological ecosystem that goes into processing the fish waste/uneaten food/etc. to detoxify and keep the water column safe for fish. The chemicals that they sell at the stores (IMO) aren't up to the task. Likely what's happening is that ammonia/nitrites have built up in the tank and are effecting the residents.

At this time, I believe your best bet will be to do large (50% or more... yes this is safe as long as it's done right) water changes daily, and use a quality additive (like Prime) to help detoxify the ammonia in the water. I would recommend not adding any more fish until the cycle completes. I would also recommend picking up a quality liquid test kit as the strips are not known to be the most reliable.

As hard as it can be, this is how a lot of people enter the hobby... I know I did. Keep up with water changes and ask any questions you have as you go. Lots of great people here who will be happy to give advice and support.

Reactions: fishorama

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I forgot to add...

If you know someone close by who has a healthy tank, you could take some media from their filter and add to your own to help move the cycle along quicker than it will go naturally.

Reactions: fishorama

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Happy to! Good luck, and don't be shy to ask any more questions as they pop up.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Roger on what jbradt says....if all fish die before cycle complete, let us know so we can help yo set up again.

Award Aquarium

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
Oh yikes. Well we will start with that. Thank you so much for your help!
Don't feel bad this happens to everyone on their first try. At this point the suggestion of daily water changes is your best bet. Seachem stability can help your BB establish. Also I recommend Api Master Test kit, test the water daily before the water changes until you see 0 ammonia 0 Nitrite and nitrates rising. Then you know for sure you have the bacteria you need.

Unfortunately the pet stores typically do a horrible job of explaining this step, then sell you bacteria in a bottle which is hit or miss, meds to try and save your dieing fish, then new fish when they die.

Just hang in there, this happens to everyone. After you get the bacteria figured out, with proper maintenance the fish hobby is great.

Lastly don't add any new fish until you know it is cycled, it could takes several weeks.

Then when you add new fish look up how to quarantine new fish.

Their is a great community of fish keepers willing to help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store