Sick Fish Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I've posted on this before, and I was refered to my problem being Ich. However, after two and a half weeks of raised temperatures, salt and a whole bunch of Aquarisol, I have eliminated Ich from the list of candidates. Here's my problem:

It started with my clown loach, after adding him; I began to observe him, with increasing frequency, scrape himself against rocks, driftwood, plants and gravel (anything in the tank he could) I suspect he's scraping his gills, since he turns on his side when he scrapes. I did observe him with two small Ich spots on his body after I bought him (I must have missed them at the LFS, otherwise I wouldn't have him) however, soon after he was added the Ich disappeared, and since has not reappeared on any of my fish. I was told consistently it was Ich, however, I'd beg to differ now, I haven't seen a single cyst on ANY of my fish since I added the clown loach. Furthermore, I just treated the tank for the past two and a half weeks, with higher temperatures, salt, more water changes, and Aquarisol. Now that the treatment is done, the disease is back, It reappeared almost instantaneously after treatment was over, and not only did it survive two and a half weeks of torture, it actually spread! It's now affecting more fish then it was before treatment! Help! I have no clue what it is I'm looking at and would GREATLY appreciate an accurate diagnosis. Here's my observations:

The fish scrape themselves by flipping on their side and swimming fast so that their body rubs against anything in the tank, it's easy to spot, since the fish swim so fast when doing it, that it looks like a jerk.
I've looked once, twice, hundreds of times, and I can't see anything on the outside of their bodies that's unusual, or foreign. Again no white spots or anything else that I can make out on their bodies.
The fish haven't exhibited anything that seems stressed or out of line with normal behaivor, they just scrape themselves. As far as I can determine, they also haven't exhibited respitory distress or unnormal breathing (although I could be wrong) I don't think they've been having any added difficulty breathing.
After two and a half weeks of treatment, the symptoms did cease, so I put the tank through another week or so of treatment and almost immediately after I stopped treating the disease came back, it also has spread to other fish, not previously affected before treatment.

That's all I've observed and know I'll be happy to answer questions, just as long as I STOP this thing!

Thanks in advance :D

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i warn everyone about this about their clown loaches and that they are a scaleless fishn and are very susseptible to ich i know because i've lost a buch b4 and they just cause a break out in the tank of ich for some reason. just keep treating is all i can recommend and also try to keep the best water conditions you can. and keep up the water changes.

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I do upkeep my water conditions very well, weekly water changes on what I consider to be an average bio-load. I'm planning on ordering some test kits to find out my nitrates EXACTLY, but in the mean time, the algae has stopped growing at all...............................

Won't an Ich infection be whipped out after two and a half weeks of treatment? Also, It SPREAD during treatment, something Ich couldn't do under these conditions, right?

I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about Ich being my problem, I'd like some more facts concerning Ich before I allow myself to believe it is Ich, In the mean time I'd appreciate some more input ;)

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
If you are unable to see any white spots then ich is not your problem. There are a host of other problems that it could be. If you are certain there are no white spots, and sounds like you are, short of doing a necropsy on one of your fish you will have to do the process of elimination. My first try would be for gill flukes. I would do a few large water changes every couple of days and filter with charcoal to remove all the meds and salts form the tank. I would then wait about a week following this before trying any other meds. Then try a gill fluke treatment and see if there are any changes. Just my own guess here as not being able to see and look over everything leaves us with nothing more then guesses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store