Sick Goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vcyr

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
:help: My watchman goby has a open red sore right before his tail. On the other side, there is no sore, but looks like a bruise. He is currently in a QT, and I am trying to decide if I should medicate him or not. I think that I should, because human nature says that if I don't add anything to his water, I am not helping him. I know that isn't always the case, which is why I haven't added anything yet.

I have read that maracyn 2 is good for open wounds, but then I have read that some fish, like gobies, are sensitive to meds, so for every website that says medicate as fast as you can, another website will tell you to wait it out. I don't want to wait to long, and then have it be too late. I also read to use neomycin?

I just was able to catch him this evening to move him.

DT specs are:

55 gal tall
70 lbs live rock
40 lbs live sand
livestock: 1 b/g chromis, 8 hermits and 1 feather duster

Parameters are:

Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
pH-8.0
S.G-1.023
Ammonia- can't tell, was advised by LFS to add ammo lock due to combinding tanks and messing with the sand. Now ammonia reading is off the charts, with both my IO powder test kit, and my API liquid test kit.

Should I medicate him, and if so, with what?

Will an ammonia alarm be able to differentiate between toxic ammonia and non-toxic?

It may seem silly, but I have had this fish for a year and would do anything to save him. He is not eating much, but I do see him grab food if it comes right to him. He will swim around if you make him, but mostly just sits in the corner. His diet includes: frozen mysis, frozen blood worms, flakes, and pellets. Before he got sick he was a pig and would eat anything I put in the tank (other than the phyto- he only tried to grab that once!)

I was able to get a pic when I had him bagged to acclimate to the QT. Hopefully it is clear enough.

Thanks!
Verna

yoshi.jpg

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
that is not a good looking sore at all.

however, I would probably not medicate the tank. I only medicate in absolute emergencies and its entirely possible he will recover.

to answer your ammonia question. you have treated with ammo lock and until you do water changes it is going to be nearly impossible to know if you ACTUALLY have ammonia or if its just a false reading. (I used ammo lock once on my freshwater tank and I had ammonia readings for 6 months straight even though I obviously didn't have ammonia anymore and I did weekly water changes. yeah, talk about overdosing. lol.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store