sick (?) pleco slowly starving to death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Srenaeb, why don't you google 'vancouver fish club' and see what you get for results? you may meet some members with used filters for sale and that will save you a lot of money. and you'll meet local people with much knowledge and interest in fishkeeping!

that's how i found my local forum, and i love it! if you want to, check out www.albertaaquatica.com

it's a great forum, but not nearly as good as AC!

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
You can get them for only 170$ on drsfosterandsmith, that's a pretty good deal for a canister filter in my opinion! But really, HOBs will be fine.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Okay Mich.. Dude, I am a successful adult financial planner, who lives in Westchester NY and pays her own mortgage and I would have to seriously consider picking up a $170 filter... and I don't have to convince anyone to LET me have another tank... that's big money to a young person (young man, young lady? who are we talking to?) to spend on a filter....

The ratings on filters are usually overstated. I usually divide that in HALF. On my 125 gallon I am running 4 filters that should be enough for over 1,000 gallons based on manufacturers "for tanks up to" ratings.

If you have two filters that are rated for 36 gallons each, go with that, it will be fine for the load you have now, but if you're thinking about adding more fish- because honestly- who doesn't! - you'll need more.

If you are buying a second filter- get the biggest one you can- and by biggest I mean the one that will move the most gallons per hour (Noted as GPH on the labels/boxes) that you can afford. HOBs are just fine- you don't need a canister.

Keep your old filter media BTW- and split it between the two new filters, and yes, two is better than one, that way when you do have the inevitable malfunction- hopefully years down the line, half working is much better than none.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
I didn't say you should buy the canister over the HOBs I'm saying that canisters can run for a lot more than that! I recommended HOBs. And believe me, I wouldn't buy a filter for that much either, I don't have any canisters.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Its also handy to have two because you'll need to quarentine new fish-
you can use the old ten gallon, if you'll have two filters you can pull the smaller one off to handle the quarentine tank when you get new fish.

And no offense Mich- I was just sayin....

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Yeah, its not cheap, but then again, equipment for larger tanks are not cheap.

You might look up the SunSun 304 (Non UV) on E-bay, I hear they are just about as good, and a carrying strap can be rigged for it.

And only an idiot buys that for $170, quick search turns up the C-360 @ 120+ shipping. Kens sells it for 150+ shipping.

The SunSun version of the C-530 can be had for 80+ shipping, which makes it a perfect filter for your tank, the problem is that its only one, though its massive.

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
some nice lady on craigslist point me to a local page called bc aquaria,
I'm currently also looking for equipment there

=P I think my fishies will have to live on their version of "instant ramen and plain water" with me while I put myself through school via student loans. [those hikari algae wafers are expensive! good thing the other animals eat cheap shrimp pellets.]

Yeah my tank population is, and will be for a while, 8 + 1 live plant. So I'm hoping to manage on cheaper equipment for now

......down the road if all goes well I may add a betta =)
I had one a long long long time ago and he was a nice fish.
Although I need to look up if they are compatible though

An update on my fishie, Leopard!!
His tummy still isn't plump, but today he ate a whole slice of zucchini!!
This time I nuked the slice for a minute before giving it to him, and when I came home from school it's all gone =D Just the rind is left. Although it does much up the water, I'm glad he's eating something~~ I've never been more glad to scoop up his stringy poop.

Last edited:

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
A Betta would be fine with a pleco, I'm glad he's eating! I should have known to check kensfish :duh: Of course he had it for cheap!

plecoman

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
Columbia, TN.
Do you have any driftwood in your 10 gallon tank? If not, that could be why your pleco hasn't been eating good. They must have the wood! It helps their digestive track to work properly. No matter what size tank you end up with, make sure that their is driftwood in that tank. :thumbsup:

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
I have an ehiem canister filter, a heater, and some driftwood if you need it. Let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store