Sick snail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
My snail is hanging on the tank wall near the water line most of the time. The last snail I had that did that died in a few weeks. Is this behavior any indication of disease?

eroomlorac

Happy as a clam
Mar 18, 2008
Farm Country, Northern Illinois
I know in trapdoor snails that could mean there is not enough oxygen circulating in the water. If trapdoors stay tightly shut it usually means there is something wrong with the parameters in the water. I don't know about Briggs, though, as they have a breathing tube. I think trapdoors have a sort of gill.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What kind of snail is it? What size tank and inhabitants? what is your temp, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? This behavior is not always indicative of a problem but if its unusual for your snail it could be. A water change can never hurt.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
What kind of snail is it? What size tank and inhabitants? what is your temp, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? This behavior is not always indicative of a problem but if its unusual for your snail it could be. A water change can never hurt.
It's a "mystery" snail I found at Walmart. He's been acting normally for at least a month, very active. The only other tankmates are rcs. Temp is 78, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm. I use API test kits so I'm relying on the numbers being correct. I would not be so concerned if I hadn't recently lost a snail that behaved the same way. A water change can't hurt, might help.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Is it eating? What are you feeding it? Are there a ton of rcs? Sometimes I find that my shrimp harass the snails during feeding time causing them to not eat very well. When this happens, I isolate the snail in a breeder trap for a few days and let it get a good couple meals in. They seem to recover quite well.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
Is it eating? What are you feeding it? Are there a ton of rcs? Sometimes I find that my shrimp harass the snails during feeding time causing them to not eat very well. When this happens, I isolate the snail in a breeder trap for a few days and let it get a good couple meals in. They seem to recover quite well.
I haven't seen it eat for a couple days. It'll eat shrimp pellets and algae wafers. I only have 10 rcs left and they are quite willing to share.

If it doesn't eat within the next couple days, I'll isolate it in a breeder trap.

mldncx

AC Members
Mar 19, 2008
East Central Indiana
I'm happy to report that the snail I was so concerned about has returned to his old self. He's eating, roaming all over the tank, and even parasnailing.

Sadly, I have no idea why he behaved so out-of-character for so long.

snailgirl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
When water quality is poor, these snails will hang around at the top for air. If the water is bad, he/she will do this again until the problem is remedied. Be sure that the ph is high enough for his shell as well. A great website is applesnail.net

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store