Sick Yellow Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DNAchic

Registered Member
May 19, 2005
:help:

I bought a yellow tang about 2 weeks ago, seemed very healthy until recently. It now hovers under the rocks with its head kind of pointing downward and has a grayish discoloration that started on its head between the eyes and has now grown down one side of its head and over one eye. Over the eye, however, it looks like powder and is almost white in color. It stopped eating 2 days ago and I just captured it and put it in one of those breeder net tank things that hangs inside the regular tank. I have one other fish that is doing fine. I've been treating the tank with Melafix and Ich Attack but it is just getting worse. The water parameters seem fine. Any ideas of what it is or what I can do? Thanks so much.

Last edited:

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
I don't know if this will help or not, but whenever I have a sick fish I usually try Garlic. For some reason garlic works pretty well for ich, and various other things. Other than this I am not too sure what to tell you to try.

Hope this helps you some,

Bradd

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Remove it from your display and place in quarantine asap.

DNAchic

Registered Member
May 19, 2005
What should I do then? I would like to try to keep it from dying if possible.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Could be a viral infection (i.e. lymphocystis) but I'm not an expert on treating fish, especially unseen ones.
Moving it to another/cleaner environment could help it without any medication needed, then again the move could stress it further. But if it's infectious you may save the rest of your pets in the process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store