Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Dollar With Cancer?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Illness and Disease' started by Otaku1811, May 29, 2018.

1. Otaku1811

Otaku1811 AC Members

Emily Cammisa
    Jun 1, 2018
    Emily Cammisa
    20180529_152454.jpg Hi everyone. I have a 75 gallon freshwater aquarium, 7.0 pH, nitrates less than 10ppm, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, everything is clean and well balanced. I do add some aquarium salt when I do my water changes.

I have a 5 year old female silver dollar that began developing a pea sized lump in her lower belly an inch forward from her anal fin. This started about two weeks ago, and in that time it's gotten bigger and now she has multiple lumps all in her guts. None of the other fish have any issues. I've never seen anything like this in the 21 years I've kept silver dollars. I don't know if I should put her in my quarantine tank because I don't know what I can even treat her with since I can't diagnose what she has. She hasn't eaten in over a week now, and she just swims and stays still for long periods of time. Ever since I got her she was the only silver dollar that liked hiding in caves and not really being part of the school ( I have 6 total, 4 females, two males).

Anyone have any advice? Do you think she has cancer or internal cysts? I know I can rule out parasites.

2. Otaku1811

Otaku1811 AC Members

Emily Cammisa
    Jun 1, 2018
    Emily Cammisa
    Some more tank spec info: kh 180, hardness 300, temp 78 degrees F. Magnum 350 canister filter, penguin bio wheel filter. All artificial plants. 25% water change week, gravel vacuum monthly. Tank is established with these fish since 2013.

Tank has 6 silver dollars, 1 common pleco, 12 adult rosy barbs and 5th generation fry, 5 otocinclus catfish, 2 dwarf gouramies, and 1 two spot gouramie.

I feed the fish a varied diet of tropical fish flakes, algae wafers, romaine lettuce, krill, blood worms, and shrimp pellets. They get flakes once a day in the morning and some of the other foods as a treat early evening.

#2 Otaku1811, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018