Simply Discus Hobbyist Challenge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
Chad,

You definately have our support for the different way you will be raising our discus, too far has everyone claimed that a barebottom is the only way to go. Please do your best, and make a point that it's possible(maybe even better) to grow out babies in a planted, non-barebottom with less frequent water changes!

I also followed last year's competition, I would have liked to participate this year, but I have some babies of my own to raise(picked some up from a local breeder). More on that on another thread.

Good luck Chad, well deserved on being picked! (Maybe you can give me a few hints on being picked next year!)

Shawn
Shawn,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I honestly don't know what kind of guidance I could give you on being selected. I was pretty surprised myself. LOL!

Best wishes!

Hey Chad! I didn't see these pics on SD. They are looking really good. :thm:

Are they Golden Albinos? I haven't followed the contest too much. With fish from Kenny though, I think everybody will come out the winner!
Thanks! Yep, golden albino cross. Here are some updated pics with a measurement. It's been a month now so were taking preliminary growth measurements. So far everyone is right about at the 4" mark. The first pic was taken when I received the fish. It measured 3". The latest measurement is the second pic. In one month, 1" of growth. They are really growing out nicely. Enjoy the pics!

3%20inch.jpg 4%20inch.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great looking discus! Woot!

gravjack

Ancient Junior Member
Dec 16, 2009
East Tennessee
Real Name
John
Those are stunning! I am really interested in your account of growing out discus in a planted tank as that is my plan for later this year. Just a curiosity question though - the original pics all show the fish in a planted tank, however, the last group seem to be in a bare bottom one - did you change method in mid stream?

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
Great looking discus! Woot!
Thanks!

Those are stunning! I am really interested in your account of growing out discus in a planted tank as that is my plan for later this year. Just a curiosity question though - the original pics all show the fish in a planted tank, however, the last group seem to be in a bare bottom one - did you change method in mid stream?
They were just moved this week. I had to move the tank that they were in to resurface the floors in the living room. Since I had a tank in the hatchery, I just moved them right in. They "grew up" in a planted tank as you see in the previous pictures.

Best wishes!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
very nice

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
very interesting

My ? for the bare bottom people would be, what kind of plants and substrate are in their natural environment :p.

Interesting thread and very nice fish, though I am sure they look much better in person. I know that some of my fish wash out when I take pics and they just do not look as good as they do in person.

Interesting to see if you win.

chef

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
wow... I am totally blown away that these have been raised in a planted tank. once a week water changes at that! just incredible... I did not know it could be done.

how often do you feed them?

-Rich

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
Hey Rich!

Good to see you here on AC! I'm sure you also caught the threads over on SD.

Anyway, two to three feedings a day... gotta use good foods though!

Best wishes!

wow... I am totally blown away that these have been raised in a planted tank. once a week water changes at that! just incredible... I did not know it could be done.

how often do you feed them?

-Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store