Single Angel with Guppies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Today someone offered me a single angel they have in 55 full of guppies. She said they got along fine together, but I know very little about angels. Is there anything I would need to know? I have read that they require more swimming space, so I would definitely put it in my 55. Will the water parameter needs for guppies and angels match up okay? I just don't want to change all of my plans for the 55 for one fish if it's going to be problematic. What are your thoughts angel lovers?

Thank you in advance!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Do you have guppies in your tank? Angels LOVE guppies. :) Yummy. A small angel won't bother adult guppies, but will happily hunt down every single baby. If your tank is big enough, angels aren't terribly picky about water chemistry, as long as it is clean water. They do get fairly big and might affect tank mate choices. What did you want to do with the tank? They are fine with plants and don't dig up the roots like some cichlids will.
wren

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thank you, Wren! I am in the process of building a 3D concrete background for the tank, it will be planted, and it will have a sand substrate. Sounds like it would work out just fine. I appreciate your prompt answer to my question :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It depends on the origins of the fish ( wild caught vs. Tank raised). In the wild, angels like in a soft water and low ph enviroment and guppies come from harder waters and can even be kept full marine( if i remember correctly). So if these are wild caught id say no but if they are all tank raised id say give it a shot. Angels being cichlids can be unpredictable and may not harm your guppies but there are MANY reports of people losing fish because of angels. Its really a guessing game to tell you a specific answer. Both species do very well in a planted enviroment though.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
This angel is in a tank full of guppies right now. She is trying to get me to take all of the guppies too, but I'd need at least another 55 to house them all, so I don't think I will accept them. I will have 5 tanks if I do another one. I already have 2 in our lobby and 3 in my office! (1 is soon to be relocated to my niece's living room.) My office is way too small to house a 55, an 18, and a 40 hex plus my big executive desk!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I concur with what has been posted to date. Angelfish will eat linear fish (neons, glowlights, guppies) easily, so be careful what you put in with the angelfish. A mature angel will be six inches long with an eight or nine-inch fin span, and tankmates must be quiet fish (no active swimmers like barbs and danio) and obviously peaceful as the angel's fins are quite a temptation, even to many tetra.

Naturally a shoaling fish, angels are best in small groups; but adding angels to an existing fish is not always wise, depending upon the individual fish (size, sex and temperament) but it can sometimes be done. If you wanted to have a 55g with say five angels and some corys and a carefully chosen upper shoaling fish group.

I would not advise taking all those guppies; there is likely a mix of male/female, and that means you will soon have hundreds of fish to deal with. Even an angel can't eat that many.

Byron.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I definitely know nothing about angels. So, I'm glad I asked. I don't believe I will be taking those guppies. I suppose I could consider them for my outdoor pond. I have seen it done, but I need to look at their cold hardiness before I have a pond full of dead guppies. The original owner made a mistake breeding them without a plan, if you ask me. I hate to see them suffer because of a bad owner.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I read somewhere that guppies are a very hardy fish. Even in the wild. They live in shallow waters ranging from a few inches to a few meters depending on temperature. Guppies live in waters where it can reach a high of mid 80's on hot days and lows of low-mid 60's at night. So im sure you guppies will be fine even if a wierd cold front or heat flash comes in for a few days.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Angels like to eat, period. Give them temptation like guppies and neons, a large majority will happily snack. A very few will leave most alone, but there is noway to guarantee that forever. If you have a group of favorite or "expensive " guppies, don't gamble angel and guppy mix. I had a large group of "saved" guppies for a year and a half before I finally set my jewels on them. Too many, too much inbred blood. Consider anything that swims with angels that is small enough to be swallowed to be in danger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store