Size of tank for Con fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlid_guy

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
ok, i have had my black convict fry in a 10g tank seperate from mom & dad. I just saw today that there are two fry left in the 20g with mom & dad. now the two look alittle bigger and better color then the ones in the ten gallon.

Should i try to split up the fry in to two 10g tanks?
I have about 75 fry .5"

What size tank should i have to rase convict fry?

thanks
scottie

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
i let my fry grow out with the parents for a few months untill i see they are starting to get picked off. Then i move them to a AGA 33 gallon tank its 36"x12"x18" but thats for much larger species. for convicts the 2 ten gallons will work or a 20 long will work too.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
Yea, all you'll need is a couple 10's... The cons do grow very rapidly tho... Whatcha gonna do with em? And what kind of food do you have for them? ;)

cichlid_guy

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
well i'm not sure what to do with the yet.
this is my first batch, I am going to go around and see if i can get store credit for them. Even .25 cent or .50 cent each would be great. I plan to wait till they are about 1".
If i can credit them, i'll ether give to friends or to the store.

My wife won't let me feed them as feeders :) ???
so if i can't dump the batch I woun't do it again.

the food:

I was still feeding them crushed Cichlid flakes, but just started crushing up Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold. "Powerful Color Enhancer"
I have a big bag for my Flowerhorns, so i just get some and crush it up, and up it in the tank. they eat it up.
hoping it helps tehm grow and get nice color.

scottie

So i sould put them in both 10g tanks?
they are all in one 10g now.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
may be best in the long run to use 2 10g or maybe a 20g long to house them since if they are kept in a too small tank they seem to not grow to full size just watch their aggression towards each other, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store