Skimmer/filter usage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I have a hang-on filter/skimmer (skilter). It runs just fine, but I have a nagging question. There is a clear plastic tube with a stopper on the end of it that sticks up and out above the waterline and runs directly into the impeller pump. When I remove the stopper, the water being pumped into the filter becomes filled with bubbles, and it makes an unholy noise.

Should the stopper be removed or should it remain in place? I am worried that I am not properly oxygenating the water if I leave the stopper in place, however, the noise created is just terrible.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
I'm not really familiar with the skilter, but that tube sounds like the venturi for the skimmer. Without the air, you're not skimming. The noise sounds about right. I've heard the skilters are very loud.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I am actually getting decent skimming out of it without the airhose being unplugged. I don't get a whole lot of foam scuzz, but I get some buildup every three to four days.

Anyway, does the simple motion and return of the water from the hang on filter properly oxygenate the tank? I do not have any fancy powerheads or returns or anything, just a simple skilter. Perhaps someday...;)

PS- I tried to record a .wav file of the sound coming from the skilter when the venturi is unplugged. It was an unsuccessful attempt.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
hmm. Maybe the stopper is a way to regulate the flow of air? Hopefully someone else who's used one comes through and can give you a definitive answer.

As for oxygenation, I wouldn't worry about that. The contact time with air bubbles in your skimmer's reaction chamber plus the surface aggitation from the HOB's return should keep your O2 levels plenty high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store