Skirt Tetra Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Heaters are the weakest piece of our hobby IME. When they fail they either don't work or can stick on & cook fish. Keep an eye on it! The heat is just to speed up the ich lifecycle.

So, is it 1.5 TBSP salt for the entire tank or what?

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
That sounds absolutely horrible. Lord willing, that won't be the case here. Lol

Yeah, just boosted it to 2 tbsp salt. Just gonna start going up in halves, now that I know it doesn't harm the fish.

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Damn. Lol.

And tomorrow is the last day of the medicine for ick, going to finish tomorrow. Than start the salt method just to be safe. So, I add 1/4 teaspoon per gallon every day?

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Did you find out what happened to your longfins teared tail, my SAEs was attacked last night, I believe by the bigger golden gourami. One died, with NO tears at all, but a red bruise on the underbelly, so I’m guessing it got beaten up not eaten up. But the other 2 sAe has the centre of their tail fins completely gone. All d the fish stay away from the golden gourami. Is that a hint? I already spoke to Big als, and they will rehome the gourami instead of me euthanizing it. So that’s a plus, but Ima get rid of this ich first before I hand it over. Any thought as to why the SAEs were attacked? I have 2 gold gourami. The second gourami is healing, had teared tail fin and lower belly fins was teared a little, the 2 kissing gourami are pretty chill, and the 4 glowlight tetras have no issues at all.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Hey, I'm sorry for such a late reply, TBear! Yeesh. Sorry about your issue with your gouramis, man.

I'm pretty sure that teared tail is from fin-nipping on my longfin, as now I'm seeing what looks like scar tissue, and the others are chasing him all the time (he's chasing the others too, of course). The aggression in there is just ridiculous right now, so I'm trying to add more as soon as possible.

I don't know much about gouramis, but I thought they were some of the most peaceful ones out there? I guess not, based off of your experience.

And as far as your salt treatment goes, though I'm sure you've already handled it, my heat (around 84 degrees Fahrenheit) and three tbsp of salt worked really well; haven't seen any more issues in a while. But, I definitely wouldn't go off of my experience; fishkeeping isn't an exact science, I've learned. Lol

How's your tank going since you posted?

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Hey, it’s been really good now, but lost all SAEs and one golden gourami. The tank is more peaceful, so I’m going to start adding more plants. I’m gonna see if anyone suggests anything else, since I still have about 19 gallons of space left to fill, maybe shrimp?

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Dang. Sorry about your luck, TBear. Glad it's relaxing a little bit more now, though. I don't really have any recommendations; probably a better question for Fishorama.

Sure thing, Fishorama. Five white skirts (added three juveniles recently), two black skirts, and my glow fish. They're all doing really, really well, thankfully! My glow tetra that was in that 2.5g alone and never came out is now as social as the others, and is almost constantly in their midst.
All the salt is gone, I think. Done a couple changes since I finished treatment. Temp's been lowered back to 76, and to they've been in great condition for a month or so. So, we're all doing great, with much thanks to the Lord! Thank you for your concern!

Reactions: TBear
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store