Small 10 Gallon, what fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hey guys,

So I just got a small 10 gallon freshwater setup from some friends who have abandoned it. I washed it and all, and it has a few fish in it right now. It has a zebra danio, and two that I don't know; they are kinda clear with a big black stripe going from head to tail, and one plecostomus. It has no heater, and the temperature is a constant 70 degrees. If I get rid of the fish, what are some schooling or normal fish that I could put in there?

Thanks!

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
Have you cycled it?I would consider getting a filter and a heater unless you want fish like white clouds,but i would get one. Zebra danio are best in 20g,plecos gets too big.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Yes, it does have a small whisper 10 power filter. Yes, it is cycled. It has been running for a long time, I just cleaned it out real good, and kept some of the old water, and replaced the rest with new water. Are there any cool coldwater fish, because I would rather not get a heater, unless I really needed to. It is constant at 70 degrees.

Thanks!

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
You have so few choice like white clouds, guppy,no goldfish of course and no betta.I'll be best to get a heater for winter and a more choice in fish

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Killifish, my breeding tank doesn't have a heater, becuase Killies are very strong and dont mind temperature fluctuations, in africa (their habitat) the temperatures fluctuate almost 20 degrees every night.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Alright, I will look into killifish. Also, why do you say not a betta?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
ok. thanks.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Some small natives like Pygmy Sunfish and Darters could work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store