Small ammonia spike w/maracyn & maracyn 2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alli13zeal

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
MPLS, MN
I'm treating with both maracyn and maracyn 2 and I'm on the second day. Their info booklets say that they shouldn't kill off the beneficial bacteria in the tank, but my ammonia was showing just below .25 ppm (my tank was previously cycled, though only for a few weeks), nitrites are still showing 0 (I actually never saw any nitrites through my whole cycle, but I did have plants from the beginning), and nitrates are 15ppm. Anyway, the directions for both of these meds say no water changes during the treatment, but it seems counterproductive to be treating fish w/meds while there is detectable ammonia in the tank. Also, I should mention that this is a tank w/corys (aka more sensitive to ammonia, etc). Soooo can I do a water changes and just add more meds back in? And how much would I put back in? I'm pretty sure I need to change the water, but when I was doing a search about this everyone was just saying "no water changes w/maracyn" so I'm feeling confused.:wall: Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Do water changes and dose the med per the instructions written based on the water volume you replace. What is important is that the ammonia must be minimized as stress and effects of the meds can put a toll on the corydoras easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store