Small sunfish in my water garden

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jason Norton

AC Members
Jun 4, 2012
I am going to be installing 2 water gardens in my yard. The smaller one is a 150 gallon kidney shape approximately 20" deep with an 8-10" deep shelf. The larger one is a 500 gallon irregular shaped pond that is approximately 28" deep with 4 shelves that are approximately 12" deep. They will be connected by a 14' long stream. My question is, can I put 2 or 3 palm sized sunfish (bream) in the larger one and maybe one more in the smaller one. Recommended plants? Should there be a substrate such as aquarium sand or gravel? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
They should do fine in that volume of water even at full size. I like lilies they flower, grow fast and provide adequate shade for the fish.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Lilies are great, eventually you will probably get frogs and they will lay down on the Lillie pads.

Plants help a lot if you want fish, they add oxygen to the water an they take out harmful wastes.

Pea gravel would work well for a pond.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Location of these ponds?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Location in the country...yearly temp swings..etc...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Substrate is a liability down the line. It will trap massive amounts of detritus over time. You can certainly put that load of Sunfish in, and they'll no doubt do well and if you have males and females they'll probably breed. But Sunfish aren't easily appreciated in a pond like Koi or Goldfish. But I love them in tanks! Since the system is rather small I'd probably go with Goldfish.

Jason Norton

AC Members
Jun 4, 2012
I was wondering about substrate because of breeding and spawning but I'll read up on that. I didn't even think about the detritus magnet it might be but maybe some invertebrates could take care of that. Thank everyone for the tips. Anymore will be greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store