Smaller Malawi to top off my stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Currently I have a 30 gallon running an Xp3 stocked with a female OB Zebra, female Kenyi, Female(?) Albino Red Zebra, Male Yellow Lab, female Greshakei, and a male Ngara Peacock. I wanted one or two more Africans to round out the stock list, preferably smaller species since space the space is tighter. I'd love a new color or pattern if anyone has thoughts.

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
When they get bigger if space becomes a problem, I'd get a 40 breeder, 40 long, or 55 depending on what's in the market at the time. I'm moving fairly soon so getting one at the moment would be pretty impractical. Presently, the fish range from 2-3 inches and don't seem to be having any problems.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
If they arn't having any problems don't add anything - you're lucky enough that it is stable so far. Adding african cichlids to a tank is always touchy, especially a singleton.

You need the bigger tank (55 would be good) and then you can have a bunch more.

You're already badly stocked at the moment for that tank. Adding something would not be a good idea.

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I was mainly asking for the near future when I move and do get a larger tank, but I do appreciate the concern from everyone.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey bl00 buddy i know some hobbyist freak out when you start to talk about overstocking in as such and rightfully so but this a hobby and its your hobby do what is right for you, if you are going to upgrade in the near future and all fish are still small you should be fine but as africans go they can be aggressive and you will need to monitor your inhabitants and remove if the issue arises so keep the 30gal as a backup if needed, good luck buddy and ps i am happily overstocked on all of my tanks and i have no issues..

and this is not a stab at you other guys who advocate on not overstocking this is my opinion.. everyone has one..

bl00

AC Members
Dec 3, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Thanks for the encouragement, Pittbull :grinyes:
At this size, I've found aggression to be alot more evenly spread out when I have around 7-8 fish in the tank (I had a recent loss due to infection...complicated story) than with only 6 inhabitants.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool buddy i hear you with me i like to look in my tank and actually see a fish swimming around or being chased to the other side for entering someones territory and who hasnt heard of the rule, stock as much as possible with africans to minimize aggression on one specific fish brutalizing another one, hehehehe, just my opinion again here guys.. later buddy..

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I was mainly asking for the near future when I move and do get a larger tank, but I do appreciate the concern from everyone.
Well, if you meant for the near future when you get a larger tank its not a question of adding one smaller fish to top of your stocking, but adding stock to bring numbers up to around oh lets say 20 or so.

This is heavily dependent on what is available locally to you, what gender your current stock are etc.

If you're looking for advice on this, perhaps it would be better to start a new thread, detailing what the tank size will be as this determines everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store