Smart, Evil Little Mantis Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Hello all!

Well, I think the subject line sums up my current problem.

Some of you may remember I recently received some LR from TBS. Well, looks like that wasn't all I got. About two weeks back I noticed a couple of loud pops/clicks from the tank every once in a while, but dismissed them as nothing since they were very infrequent (like every other day or so) and usually only one or two at a time. Then I began noticing odd trails in the sand around my LR, and what appeared to be small caves being excavated under, around, and through my LR.

Alone and together the bits of evidence at that point were enough to arouse suspicion, but I needed confirmation. Then I saw the beast.

One evening when the moonlights were on and the room was dimly light, the beast walked up to the opening of a wide crevass in the LR, seemed to take a good look at me, and then turned around and walked back into the shadows. I had found the location where it's main lair was, or may still be.

The next day I was determined to catch the beast before it could wreak havoc on my tank. It was not very big, only about half an inch in size, but I knew I needed to get it out before it got big. So I bought a trap. One of those fancy "X-terminator" rigs. Set it up that night with some bait and went to bed, hoping when I awoke it'd contain Mr. Scheisskopf (as he has been named in frustration).

Sure enough, the trap was sprung in the morning. Only, it was empty. The bait was gone, the trap was shut, nothing had been broken; it was just empty. So after work that day, I was going to try and catch him manually. Moving rockwork is not fun. I had to do so to more clearly get to his hole. There he was; peering at me. I learned very quickly that they make sure they have a back exit. Very quickly.

Now before anyone asks why I didn't just pull the whole rock up out of the tank with him in it; it's pretty big, heavy, and primarily buried deep into the sandbed. So, didn't want to do that unless as a last resort.

Next day I was better prepared (or so I thought). I blocked the back exit, went to work trying to get at him through the front with some tweezers. Should have thought about it a little harder, in hindsight. Ends up there's a third exit.

Couple of dead hermit crabs and couple of days later...

Very clever this time. Put a big zip-lock baggie around the back end of the rock, blocking any and all back exits. No more Mr. Nice Guy, either. Long, lethal surgical scissors at the front end. If I couldn't get him out alive and in one piece, I'd get him out dead and in pieces. We fenced for a while, but the beast knew somehow that the back of his lair was not an escape option. So he just was quicker than I and darted out the front, right around my scissors.

Yesterday... Final resort. Didn't want to have to do it, but was going to pull the rock. First, wanted to make sure he was good and trapped in his hole. Only problem was, he wasn't in his hole (so I didn't pull the rock). It seems after all the attempts at capture or killing, he has been spooked off. Now I haven't seen him in the tank, and am not sure if he's made a new lair for himself or not.

I'm stumped as to how he made it into my tank; I did the 20 minute out-of-water rock inspection/test when I received it before putting it in my tank... But somehow he made it past that. In any event, I'm now at a loss as to how to get rid of the beast. I'm worried and in a hurry; he's killing and growing with each passing week...

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
:laugh: I''m sorry I don't have a solution for you but thanks for the great laugh. Trust me, I am not laughing at you. I am laughing with you.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I'm in the same boat as you with these devils. I have been trying for a week and still haven't any luck. I guess I'm going to have to keep trying. Hopefully someone will come along and give us another we haven't thought of.

Dave

Nickeleye

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
Well, this is hardly advice, but on the bright side... at least you know what the problem is. That's half the battle right there. At least you're not second-guessing the pops, clicks or mysterious deaths.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
as40,
Have you gotten that mantis yet? I finally got mine out this morning and this is how I finally did it. I hope this helps you if you haven't gotten him.

I pulled the suspected home out of the tank and let it sit in the bucket with no water for 20 mins. I saw a quick glimpse of him and took a syringe (sp?) and shot some fresh water in the hole he ran into. He came back out and I picked him up with a pair of tweezers. Oh what a glorious day.:)

Dave

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Hello,

Well Dave, congratulations on catching the little bugger! :)

I still haven't gotten mine. He has relocated to a different spot, I think because he was spooked too many times. I'm going to try making my own trap and baiting him with something new... I'll let you know when I try it.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by as40
I'm going to try making my own trap and baiting him with something new... I'll let you know when I try it.
I seen a thread were people was making them out of small plastic coke bottles. If I can find it I'll post a link to it.

Good luck,
Dave

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Hmm...

Well, it's been about a week since I last saw sign of my mantis shrimp. Haven't heard a thing from the tank either. Found a dead hermit crab yesterday, but no broken shell to indicate whether the mantis was the killer or not. It'd be too much good luck to hope that it just died in my tank. And that would be too easy. I can't help but wonder though if that is a possibility or not. I've read that they have a hard time in their "growing" phase, and that they often don't survive molting. What else would kill a young mantis shrimp of about an inch (or a little less) in size?

Haven't had time this week to implement my trap either. The problem with the trap I've devised is that I'd have to be there to snap it shut once the mantis entered it, and would want to remove it quickly. Did a water change yesterday; usually the mantis moves about a bit after I do one of those, but, once again, there was no sign of him.

I'll post as there are updates. Wish me luck. And if I do manage to catch him, does anybody want him, or should I make him into a meal for his oppressed hermit crab neighbors? :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store