Smashed Apple Snail shell

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

magallomaine

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2020
Please Help me.
This is an Emergency.
20200729_132523.jpgMy apple snail fell to the floor and smashed it's shell.
I need to know how to save her. The damage is done to the spiral end of the shell around an inch or 2.5cm. I don't know how to seal the shell without glueing the shell to the snails body.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Best thing is to keep the water in her tank super clean, meaning daily water changes. Give her high calcium foods, broccoli and cuttlebone are good options.

Unfortunately there is not much else you can do. Either she will heal or she won't, but you can give her the best chance possible by preventing infection with clean water and by offering lots of calcium to help her repair the shell

magallomaine

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
I didn't know what else to do so I used medical tape to hold her shell together and failing that I filed down an empty shell to glue to her old shell for protection.
I heard brussel sprouts are good for them to eat are they?
I am devastated for her. She seems ok. Although she Hangs out of her shell in the water but as soon as she is disturbed she slams her door shut. Which I figured is a good sign.
20200729_170642.jpg20200729_170700.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Fingers crossed !

Brussel sprouts would be good for her too. Kale is another.

magallomaine

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2020
Hi NoodleCats, updating my apple snail progress she has survived the night. Yay! I am quite attached to my apple snails. I have 5 adult females and 2 adult males. I also have babies in various sizes. Since I brought them inside for winter they have been breeding happily. I have separated the adult males and females now as I don't want to be over run with offspring. I will offer the babies for free to the local pet shop as we struggle to get deliveries of them.
I'm going to leave the bandages on my snail until they come off by themselves or unless they get grotty. What do you think?20200730_102944.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I think its at least worth a try!

I got an apple snail too. Well, she is technically my son's snail. He adores her. She's got her own little space to herself because she did not mesh well in our tanks. The fish harassed her too much and stole her food so she always hid. So now she's by herself with a few ramshorns and she is happy and gets to pig out on food all to herself. My kid gets to feed her and he loves that. And she comes to the surface to beg for food, and will take pellets from your hand.

Great pets, intelligent and fun.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry for your loss!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store