Snail-B-Gone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
So, I am moving to the mainland and I am going to empty out my 55 gallon and sell it on craigslist. It is overrun with snails. I've saved as many as I can by putting them in my friend's guppy pond, but there's no way I can save them all, and I feel really bad just throwing them away, because I think that would be cruel.

Isn't there a product called Snail-B-Gone? I looked for it online, but all I find are people in forums talking about it. Does anyone know what company makes it? Or, do you know the brand name of a similar product?

I think insecticide is the way to go to kill the snails as quickly and humanely as possible, but if you have other methods, please let me know.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Have you called fish/pet stores in your area? I'm sure I've seen something like that but don't know the name.

I think insecticides would severely injure the snails but might not kill them, as it's designed to work on ... well, insects not mollusks. (I assume you're talking about removing the snails from the tank and spraying them. Using insecticide in the tank itself would be a big no-no. The residue would be impossible to clean away and render the tank completely unsafe for use. Since you plan to sell it, I say stick to aquarium treatments.)

Can you remove the substrate with the snails, take it outside and let it dry in the sun before disposing of it? It's not ideal, but I don't think you have very many choices.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If Malaysian trumpet snails are what's in your gravel or sand, the problem is that they close themselves up so tightly that no poison will penetrate and kill them quickly and painlessly like you are hoping for. People have tried everything from bleach to copper and it doesn't work fast. Fluke Tabs and such work about as well as anything else, but again - they will close themselves up and can last for days in this solution. Anything you add to the substrate to poison them has a chance of staying in the substrate, this is definitely true of anything copper based since it binds itself to even your silicone seals.

So while I know it may seem cruel, the best you can do is lower the water level so the gravel is just damp, pick up the big snails that surface within an hour or so, and let the rest of your gravel dry out.

I suppose microwaving, boiling or freezing would all be more humane than dessication, but few have the stomach for this...certainly not me. So don't worry, you did your best! I feel sorry for the earthworms that I inadvertently chop when I am digging up the garden, but these things can't be helped sometimes.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I think insecticides would severely injure the snails but might not kill them, as it's designed to work on ... well, insects not mollusks
Oh, sorry!--what I wrote was confusing. By "insecticide" I just meant the Snail-B-Gone.

If Malaysian trumpet snails are what's in your gravel or sand, the problem is that they close themselves up so tightly that no poison will penetrate and kill them quickly and painlessly like you are hoping for.
Darn it. Yes, it's MTS that I've got. I've known for a while that I'll be moving, and I've been putting off dealing with the 55, just because I feel so bad about the snails!

Thanks for the help, though. I won't bother using the Snail-B-Gone if it's not going to work like I'm thinking.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Well, I came up with an alternative solution. I posted it for cheap on craigslist to be sold AS IS, snails and all :grinyes:
I'd rather get less money for it than deal with cleaning it and killing the snails. I got contacted by a woman who has a very large frontosa in a 10 gallon tank, so at least that fish will now be much happier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store