Snail control?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Zebras and yoyos should be good in a 55 gallon tank. They do dig around but well established plants should do fine. Stem plants that have a weak root system might get uprooted every so often. A smooth, sandy or small gravel bottom will be best. Larger stones aren't great.

Mordred

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Do Yo-Yo's have another name?

I've managed to find the skunk and zebras, kuli (seems to be listed as coolie) in my fish books, but can't find yo-yo's

Locust

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
Redmond, Wa
Visit site
You probably won't have much trouble w/ loaches digging up plants. They generally only dig as much as they need to to get at what they're after (food!).

Zebras & Yo-Yo's get to be roughly 4". I'm not sure about skunks (though I bet they're right around that size, too).

loaches.com is a good specific loach resource (It might have alt. names for Yo-Yo's... I can't think of any myself).

Do keep in mind that most loaches are community fish, so you'll want a few of them.

Off loaches for a second, I've also heard of puffers being recommended for snail control, though they are more aggressive.

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
skunks also get to 3 or 4". IME, skunks are no more aggressive than any other botia loach, provided they are kept in the recommended numbers. i have 7 and have never had a problem with them. on to more important matters...

i'd go yoyos in that tank. buying a fish as (comparably) expensive, sensitive, and large as clowns get is a bad idea if you're looking for snail control. clowns basically demand a tank tailored and dedicated to them...even more so since they're at their best in groups of 3 or, arguably, 6 or more.

there seems to be a lot of recommending of clowns lately for this purpose...or IMO (no offense) uninformed recommending. clown loaches are a solution to a snail problem, but they are a poor one for all of the above reasons.

in addition to adding yoyos or other smaller botia species (also needs to be in groups of at least 3), remember that overfeeding (as OG pointed out in another thread recently) is the most common cause of a snail "outbreak." cut back on feeding...less food for the snails. less snail population.

Last edited:

Mordred

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
Great thanks.

The tank is fairly new (5 weeks)
I'm slowly struggling to bring algae under control at the moment, and I suspect the excess algae is what is driving the excess of snails.

I'm tempted to get a few zebras or yo-yos to keep the snails in check without eradicating them totally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store