SNAIL EGGS?! :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
I use a tupperware (about the size that most grocery stores sell lunch meat in). I put a paper towel which is lightly damp, folded into quarters into the bottom. Then 3 more quartered but DRY paper towels on top of that. The clutch sits on the uppermost dry paper towel. Tightly lid it and float it into the tank where the snails will be grown out. Depending on temperature, they typically hatch at 8-9 days. Daily, remove the lid and remove condensation. If the uppermost paper towels get wet, replace with dry (to prevent mold and too much moisture).

Also, I prefer to hatch them into a breeder trap initially as its MUCH easier to maintain/feed them and their tank when they are not loose and the size of pinheads.
Just started this process with my snail eggs a moment ago.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
Man, my snails are seriously into making baby snails. It's ridiculous. But I love it :) I'm in the process of incubating 2 clutches right now and I just spotted the mom and dad "hanging out" again :) :) :)

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Man, my snails are seriously into making baby snails. It's ridiculous. But I love it :) I'm in the process of incubating 2 clutches right now and I just spotted the mom and dad "hanging out" again :) :) :)
Haha I got really excited initially too, now I have like 100 babies in my 55. I dont mind it though, just have to start throwing snello in their now too

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Congrats on the clutches! I'm wanting my purples to produce at least one clutch for me to hatch, hopefully they get busy soon!

If you find yourself overrun with clutches you don't want to hatch out, the best and most humane thing to do is freeze them for a day or two, then dispose of them.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
The first 3 clutches she laid didn't work, they dried up even with my attempts at keeping them damp. So I'm doing the incubation with the 4th clutch and I get up today and she's almost done with her 5th. So since that one is so new maybe I'll get some babies out of it. Hopefully

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
Since I've never hatched out any snails before, are these eggs hatching?? I change the top towel often and remove the condensation from the lid to prevent mold. So I don't know if these are hatching or what??

How long can I keep them in this container till I can put them in water if they are hatching??

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I have 4 but with my luck they are all the same. It's no big deal, just kind of funny that I never get eggs and people who have snails for a short time get them so easily.
Is there space for them to lay their eggs?
The larger snail tend to lay eggs above the water line. Some will crawl up on hoods to get the eggs out of the water. The hatch-lings will drop into the water, but they can't hatch underwater.

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
Since I've never hatched out any snails before, are these eggs hatching?? I change the top towel often and remove the condensation from the lid to prevent mold. So I don't know if these are hatching or what??

How long can I keep them in this container till I can put them in water if they are hatching??

Congrats! Yes, they are hatching. I put them in the water as soon as they break free of the clutch. You've got alot of babies there. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store