Snail tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Oh, don't give up o_O I love the idea of snail tanks!
I did not suggest that the OP give up. I suggested that the tank (0.5 gallons) was too small to maintain healthy snails. I enjoy snails and think invert tanks are great. However, I do not think that the inhabitants of the tank should suffer and I think in a 0.5 gallon tank they will.

Put in a plant and that will help keep the water good also.:) I bet a couple of dwarf shrimp in there would be great, too.
Yes, a plant will help, but will not solve all the problems. If his snails are breeding as fast as they are in his main tank, I would be willing to bet they will breed too fast for a 0.5 gallon tank to handle. The bioload will be too much IMO.

This tank could be doable, but I'd offer that you will have to cull the tank. You could likely manage a small group, but will have to really watch your feeding. Water changes should be a couple of times a week, if not more. You'll need to make sure they are getting fed and that excess food is getting removed to reduce your population. I also wouldn't add other inverts. I'd stick with one or another.

From experience with nano tanks, they're more trouble than they're worth. They require a lot of maintenance, more than your other tank does.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Make sure all food and waste is removed, in tanks that small within a week the tank can be filthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store