Snails in A Planted Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
I just acquired another 10 gallon tank (for free!:thm:) and decided to put three of my mystery snails(2 on the smaller size, one medium) in there together.

I was really hoping to also turn that into a planted tank.. Would that be a possibility? I was reading at applesnail.net that they are one of the only snails that would be alright with plants, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of people here on AC with their snails with live plants as well..

I'd be going pretty low-tech and low light with the planted as it would be my first, but I was just wondering are their substrates and fertilizers that would be toxic or stressful for the snails? I was thinking about using Eco-complete and maybe a fert like Seachem Flourish if necessary.

And one last thing, does anybody have any suggestions on plants that I could do? Ones that maybe your snails particularly liked, or that have worked out for you in this type of situation. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks in advance :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
If you are going low light low tech, you probably won't be fertilizing. Mystery snails are greatin planted tanks. I keep m ine with crypts, anubias, sags, ferns, vals, etc

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
Thanks for the tips! They're really appreciated. :)

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I also use sunset hygro. It grows like a weed and is so pretty in my tank.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
how would trumpet snails fair in a planted tank? I'm wondering because I'm getting plants soon and at the moment I have 5 trumpets in one of my tanks.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
My snails love to graze on large anubias leaves. If you want a floating plant you can add hornwort as a floater. I use Eco-Complete and find that the snails love to bury themselves in it.

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
Great! Thanks so much you guys for your suggestions!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
I also have eco complete in my planted 10g which is stocked with 2 brigs, MTS, ramshorns, and cherry shrimp. Nobody bothers the healthy plants although the critters may nibble on some of the dead leaves. If you want quality low light plants or any more inverts, I recommend asking msjinkzd. Buy in confidence from her: good prices, quality product, super helpful :) Others will agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store