snails snails everywhere!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sand critter

Registered Member
Jul 3, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
We bought a live plant about a month ago, and apparently there were some snails in them....they are now multiplying and our tank is infested with them! There are hundreds of them, and even though we are flushing many everyday, we wake up to see just as many as the day before! What can we do to get rid of these eyesores....which are also destroying healthy levels of everything!!!:confused:

B

BigFishDude

Clown Loaches, Cloawn Loaches, Clown Loaches, and more Clown Loaches. These guys will have that tank cleared of snails in no time!!!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Snails

Dojo (Weather) Loaches, bettas (or similair labyrinth fish), or figure eight puffers... It all really depends on the size of your tank and the kind of fish you have in it. One of my tanks used to be infested with Ramshorn snails, however, they almost completely disapeared when I recieved four spike-tailed paradise fish and my dojo loaches.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Make sure your tank is big enough to hold those fish. Clowns get big. I would just make sure that you rwalize why there are so many snails. Rams Horns generally don't eat healthy plants. They like deteriorating plants. Also overfeeding will cause more snails.

I would suggest the tried and true lettuce leaf in the tank at night and throw the leaf out in the morning. It will be covered in snails.

If you have any bottom feeders then pre crushing the snails and letting them sink is a tastey treat. My cories love them. Just had some a moment ago. Big smiles on their little whiskery faces.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agree--you must treat the problem, not the result. There is a huge food source available for the snails, or they would not be reproducing this fast. Everyone on my tanks is planted, and the only time I get an abundance of snails is when I deliberately over feed. Rather than getting a fish to eat the sanils (especially something as large as clown loaches, or as nippy as dwarf puffers), cut back on feeding--every other day will work for most adult fish just fine. Give the substrate a complete cleaning. In a few weeks, I'm betting your snail population will be in decline.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
yes but if there were enough egg cases it can seem as if they are reproducing fast cause the babies are not as noticeable and as soon as you take the bigger guys out there are more to grow into that noticeable size from what I have expirienced

clowns are not the only loachy way to go. I have botia rostrata and I hear almorhae will do the job as well and these are both under 5 inches max

Last edited:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I know the frustration. my wife opted to not get a fish to control them and she ended up completely breaking the tank down(to move it incidently) and washing the gravel and bleach solution treating the plants and she still takes a few snails out each week but it is no where near the numbers she had

the rate of multiplying also depends on the snail. apple snails very slowly and if you do yay, common pond snails abit faster but if you have the rams horn shaped snails they can reproduce at a extremely small size and large snails egg cases can have several thousand in it so if you get one in on plant there can be a population explosion

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
IMHO, if there is a snail population explosion, the odds are near 100:1 that the tank is overstocked, improperly stocked, overfed, improperly fed, undermaintained, or some combination of those. Snails require food. Aquarists provide food.

I have two dozen operating tanks. All but puffer tanks have snails. I have no snail explosions. I have to have snail tanks and feed them heavily to support puffers. Snail explosions are self-inflicted injuries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store