Snails that need another snail to breed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I'm looking for some snails that I can keep in betta jars to help keep them cleaner (eating extra food, etc) and that won't just multiply when kept singly. Preferably a very small snail (1" or less).

*EDIT* Oh forgot to add that I'll need snails that won't tend to eat plants since I have live plants in there as well. Thanks!

Last edited:

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
Apple snails. Pomacea bridgesi. They will not eat live plants, I was worried about that myself. They are only 1 sex so you must have a male and female for them to reproduce. Female can store sperm and lay eggs without a male. The female lays eggs above the water line and can be discarded so you do not have hundreds of snails. Here's a web site on them.
http://www.applesnail.net/

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Yeah, I've looked and looked for a nice, small apple snail, but they all get so large that's out. Unless there is a species out there I'm unaware of.

I'll keep searching, there has to be a nice, small, non-plant eating snail out there that can't reproduce on it's own!

How fast do snails grow? Maybe I could breed my own apple snails and when they outgrow the betta jars I could just feed them to my clown loaches and put a baby one back in the betta jar :)

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
Depending on the amount of food you give apple snails they can grow at an alarming rate. Mine grew from the size of a dime to the size of a half dollar in about 3 weeks, Course I got lots o food in my tank as well.

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
I have seen some Apple Snails that get huge. The one's I keep only get about the size of a walnut. Now that I think about it my adults probably do push close to 2".

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
the one I have is now about that size.

Xeider

AC Members
May 7, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
I had a 1" apple snail in with my betta and he didn't grow much at all. I didn't really feed him as he eat off the little algae that grew in the tank. My betta would flare up at him, though I doubt the snail saw him. The betta also took its eye stalk a feelers a few times, but they grew back. Only noticed growth when I dropped food in specifically for the snail.

Another snail to look at is the ramshorn, though like the apple snail it will grow bigger then what you requested.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
ramshorn are hermaphroditic, I would not suggest them for what she wants as they will reproduce asexually........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store