So, after spilling several gallons...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
...of refill water on my carpeting, wood tank stand, dog, and cat, I've concluded I'm too klutzy to use a bucket. Started using a watering can but that takes a zillion trips to the faucet. Stumbled across a video mentioning the Python water changing system, and it sounds like there are also other similar options out there. So I'm wondering, are these systems worth buying? Which brand do y'all like the best?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pythons or other name brands definitely make things so easier! I use a bailing pitcher and 5gal pail for one of my 55s and my 29g, but for my 75g and other 55g I gravel vac/siphon into a storage tote and have a cheap Harbor Freight Tools submersible pump and garden hose to pump the waste water out onto my lawn and garden. Everything goes neatly and easily back into the tote when I'm done.

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Ooh, I like that! Creative solution, and it sounds a lot less expensive than the Python. Having a system for storing it away is also a big plus. Thanks for the idea!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If you don't need the gravel vacuum option of the Python or similar systems, a water bed fill/drain valve and a garden hose (I prefer the RV drinking water safe one) work great for filling directly from the tap. Just add your water conditioner to the tank when refilling with this method.

You can either use a spring operated hand clamp to secure the loose end to the tank rim or if you are handy, some PVC pipe, fittings and a ball valve will allow secure tank filling and let you shut the water off right at the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Diane, I forgot to mention, for refilling the two tanks above, I'm kind of spoiled. There's a utility sink 6 feet away. To refill I have a clear piece of vinyl tubing with a garden hose fitting on it. I thread that hose onto the hose fitting on the faucet, toss the hose in the tank, treat the whole volume of the tank with dechlor and refill away. I kind of hand judge to temperature match.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I hate buckets.... Python or similar with extensions to drain to bathtub or out a door/window...refill from the sink.

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
If you don't need the gravel vacuum option of the Python or similar systems, a water bed fill/drain valve and a garden hose (I prefer the RV drinking water safe one) work great for filling directly from the tap. Just add your water conditioner to the tank when refilling with this method.

You can either use a spring operated hand clamp to secure the loose end to the tank rim or if you are handy, some PVC pipe, fittings and a ball valve will allow secure tank filling and let you shut the water off right at the tank.
Wow, that would be cool to be able to shut the water off at the tank! I'm not very handy, though. I always try to be but it doesn't go that well. LOL

I bought a gravel vacuum and I'm satisfied with that for taking water out using a bucket, and dumping it by hand, but it's getting the new water in that's a disaster. So this waterbed valve/hose thing might be a good solution. Thanks for that idea! :)

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Diane, I forgot to mention, for refilling the two tanks above, I'm kind of spoiled. There's a utility sink 6 feet away. To refill I have a clear piece of vinyl tubing with a garden hose fitting on it. I thread that hose onto the hose fitting on the faucet, toss the hose in the tank, treat the whole volume of the tank with dechlor and refill away. I kind of hand judge to temperature match.
I actually have a bathroom sink nearby so could definitely do that, except it has a very weird spout thingy, might have to experiment. Maybe a combination of all these ideas...RV hose from sink to tank, another hose (or gravel vacuum to bucket) out the back door. Something like that would be a huge improvement. I didn't think before of watering the plants with the dirty water and instead have been lugging it across my apartment to the toilet.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Some of the newer sinks don't have threaded aerators so you'll have to check out your faucet. It can also be difficult to attach the drain/fill valve and a hose if the sink is shallow.

Another option is to buy a shower hose diverter that attaches between your shower head and the pipe that comes out of the wall. You can leave the diverter in place and just hook up the hose when you need to fill the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store