So, how do you wash your hands before cleaning tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Smae here with the hot water. In fact I'll even wait to take my shower until after I've cleaned the tanks or at least space them well apart. At the aquaculture lab I interned at though, we were required to use a bleach dip, followed by a hot water rinse. Perhaps those tanks are big enough to where any residual bleach doesn't do any harm?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hot water, here. And, I admit that I am probably not as good about this as I should be.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
I'm a little compulsive about handwashing, so when I want to work on the aquarium and realize that I just washed my hands I have to sit on em' for a while. Then I rinse with the hottest water I can stand, dry with paper towels, and sit on em' a while longer...

After the second or third rinse, I finally feel safe to work in the tanks.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Another for a long rinse under hot water, rubbing up my entire arms. Because I have to use the utility sink in the basement, I also drape the taps with one of my aquarium towels (washed in hot water) over the taps, so when I turn off the water, I'm not touching anything that may be on the taps.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I use hot water too. But from i've learned it doesn't do that good of a job removing bacteria. Especially because our skin is full of little crevasses that house germs. But i guess these aren't extremely hazardous to our fish?

I was just wondering if there were any natural soaps that would be safe for aquariums and good for removing germs.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
jeez

you guys are compulsive! i don't unless i touched some chems or something but i wash em good when im though cleaning

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I usually just give them a quick rinse under warm tapwater, my hands generally are already pretty clean when I'm at home. I'm not worried about bacteria on my hands getting into the fish tank:rolleyes: ...the tank has far more bacteria than my hands. Though, I usually just make sure my hands are free of soaps, detergents, lotions, etc, before putting them in my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store