So im looking into getting a Betta for my desk.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You definitely will need a filter and heater, you may want to look into the 5g hex kits. I bought mine today, and I love it! It's perfect for bettas IMO, and is really nice looking for the price.

bettasandbeads

AC Members
Aug 11, 2011
Hi
A 2.5 gal or 5 gal works great. If you don't want the trouble of getting a filter and light, you can always purchase a small hex or triangle under gravel tanks. Pet Smart and Walmart have them.
Depending on the temp of the office place, you may want to add a small heater. The Hydor mini works well and fits in a small tank.
With the undergravel filter, you just need to change 15-20 % of the water once a week. Use a turkey baster, less messy.
I have the majority of my male Bettas in these tanks. The girls are in 10-15 gal tanks.
Don't over feed your Betta and add a few plants and he will be fine.
I like to add a 1 1/2" PVC pipe connector, for them to hide in. My guys love them. Cost about 0.59 at the hardwear store.
Bettas are ok if you miss a feeding or two, just don't go much longer. Over a weekend without food is OK.
I am the President of Betta Breeders Canada, we are affiliated with the International Betta Congress.
We love people who give their Bettas room to move and lots of attection.
Good luck.
Catherine

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I agree the 2.5 is a good setup. I have 2.5 and 5g minobow. The 2.5 houses a Betta who can't behave with others and he seems happy in there, I'm still using the original incandescent bulb which keeps the temp's up in fact in the summer if I don't have the A/C on I turn it off cause it starts to push over 80*. Java Fern will also grow under the stock light. I did replace the included filters with red sea nano HOB's, so I don't have to buy the crappy little aqueon cart's. I scored the 2.5 for 19.99 at either petco or petsmart.
I use the same Red Sea filters on my 2.5g tanks and I love them. Here's a tip, you can use Aquaclear sponges cut to fit in the media compartment to increase surface area for biological filtration. Filter floss would probably work just as well, also.

Dekk

Keeper of Hybrids
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
Hey guys I appreciate all the replies!

The reason I chose wanting to get a Betta for my work desk is because of its simplicity (or thought it was). I wanted to avoid having to have a full tank setup because it would of sat on my desk where clients and others come in, and I wanted to avoid my desk becoming like an expensive tank stand. I was hoping just a bowl would of been fine, for some 'live art'. Im also fine with frequent water changes, for a 3g since im use to doing water changes for multiple 40gs at my home, 3g clean up would be really easy.

Guess ill avoid the Betta idea and get one of those snow-globes or something. :)

I was just seeing if I could make a comfortable home for a Betta without a full tank setup, but it sounds like I cant with what im wanting to do, and the Betta will suffer, which is what I want to avoid. As for being flamed from people on the fish forums, meh, I just cared about making a comfortable surrounding for my Betta while adding 'live art' to my work space. Ill avoid the little project.

Last edited:

bettasandbeads

AC Members
Aug 11, 2011
Hey don't give up. If you don't mind the water changes go a head with a small tank or large gold fish bowl.
The main thing is to keep the water clean and feed him well. A few ornaments will help him from getting bored.
Bettas really only want clean water, food on time and a place to swim. Also someone who will pay attention to them once and a while.
I know someone who have their Betta in a large gold fish bowl, with some ornaments and weekly water changes. He lived to a ripe old age of 8.
Good luck.
Catherine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store