So mad at my pleco!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
I spent the last 2 days doing major water changes like crazy to get rid of the cloudyness. I finally get the water crystal clear and then get all my new plants planted. I go into the other room for about an hour, then go back to my aquarium and my pleco pushed all the eco-complete around him again. He makes a big pit in the middle and everything else gets covered. I'm surprised he hasn't killed any of my snails or frogs yet. I just bought him a 8 inch long cave thats 3 inches wide and he won't go near it. He also has driftwood to hid behind. Before I got the eco, he was always on the glass. Now he's never on the glass. He's always laying on the eco or making his pit. All of my plants are now floating and my tank is all cloudy again. I need to find him another tank. This is crazy.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
this is why i don't own one they like what they like and you can't change them,..

lol try giving a white horse a bath and tell her not to get dirty and roll on the mud/grass/and poop,.. yeah right,..been there done that,..lol
i feel for you,..:lol:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
lol, he's training you to leave the tank alone. mind you, it is his home, and i think he should be able to decorate as he sees fit. perhaps plant around the perimeter of the tank instead of trying to muck with his pit spot?

when my oscar moves gravel around i just let it be. he obviously wants it where he wants it for a reason. me ever figuring out that reason? hahahahaha......

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
I've tried that, and then he just makes a pit somewhere else! Next thing you know, all the gravel is pushed up against the sides of the tank with none in the middle. I left the main pit area open for him and the whole back open for him. I don't get why he won't go into his cave. Are there any tricks to get them to use their cave?

I have been trying to get him a 55G, right now I'm getting ready to go get him a temp 10G until I can find him a 55G.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've been waiting what seems like eons for any of the creatures in my planted tank to use the cave that is part of the big hunk o driftwood i put in there, so i know what you mean. nobody wants to move in! lol.

maybe try mounding some of the substrate around the cave, including the opening. but first put the cave in a spot that mr pleco likes to 'pit in' the most often. he may just 'discover' the cave while he's pushing substrate around and go right in? can't guarantee this will cure him of his habit, but at least if it works he's spending some time in the cave and he'll be spending less time pushing substrate around, lol.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
You could try putting his food in the cave or at the entrance, maybe it'll encourage him to check it out.

lorindaleigh

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
I'll try both ideas thanks! I think he likes making a pit so he feels almost buried. He's a silly boy.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If you want him in the cave, you need a female in the tank. Then he'll be all about the cave, and trying to show her how great it is for spawning.
Better yet, get 2 females. When they start spawning he'll be too busy fanning eggs or guarding fry (or trying to get one of the girls into the cave) to dig pits in the substrate.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that sounds like an idea, if you are inclined to try breeding plecos and you already have your 55, but don't get the girls until you have the larger tank set up. boy scout rule of fishkeeping and breeding, always be prepared!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store