Some Filter Decisions I Need To Make...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Okay, eletrical bills are going up and my idea I've getting a canister filter for my 55g planted is becoming impractical moneywise. As I want to help relieve the stress on my family and not add to it, I'm trying to figure out some things. I've wanted to change the format of the HOB Topfin 60 filter that's on there now, maybe with some sort of DIY combination. The main function of this filter has been bio/ mechanical(So obviously I'd be keeping the bio sponges), and a little water movement.

Should I keep this filter on, or try and change it to lessen costs?

Plus, I was thinking of getting another filter like this one for the apple snail tub I'm working on, do you think it would make a big impact if I added another?

Or do these filter types not make that much difference cost wise?

~Angela

Last edited:

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Well the 10-15 minutes you are spending on your computer posting in AC probably uses more electricity than a canister would use in a 24 hour period. I would not be to worried about the electrical costs. Get whatever filter suits your specific needs.

enrom

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
MI
Well, if you want to reduce electrical usage, the filter isn't a good place to look. I use an aquaclear 50 that uses 6 watts of electricity. Your top fin is fairly comparable in filtering capacity, so I wouldn't imagine it uses much more electricity than that. I'm not sure how much juice a canister would use, you still might be able to upgrade if you wanted.

The real juice hogs in aquaria are heaters. The easiest way to reduce consumption would be to use only as big of a heater as you need. You might be able to get away with only using 200 watts of heat, preferably two 100 watters. If you were really desperate you might be able to use two 75w, but I think that might be pushing it.

High output lights used for heavily planted aquariums can also suck up the juice, but if you're only using stock hoods it's probably not too much wattage.

Another way to reduce electrical consumption - not aquarium related - is to switch out all of the standard light bulbs in your house for compact fluorescent bulbs. A 13 watt compact fluoro will put out light equal - to the human eye at least - to a 60 watt incandescent bulb. If you replace, say, 10 regular light bulbs with these, you'll be saving a ton of energy right there. You can also turn your refrigerator up to 39 or 40 degrees. This will save alot of power if your fridge is old and runs often. Turning your water heater down (only if it's an electric one) will also save some money. A combination of all of these things can save big bucks on bills, I know this from experience.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
filters use up basically nothing compared to lights and heaters. in winter i do turn down some of the tanks to around 70-72 degrees instead of the usual 80+. they are on a lot less that way.

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Thanx.:) The wattage over the tank as far as lights are concerned is 80watts, it's a dual shoplight fixture. I just wanted the canister because the filter I have now is such a pain to clean. I'm thinking a canister would be easier, right?~Angela

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Riso-chan emron is right. Your aquarium probably isn't the big power burner. A 200 watt heater costs between 10 and 20 dollards a month to operate. That 80 watts of light on a twelve hour cycle costs less than 5 dollars a month. I calculated these values using $ .15 per kwh, which may be a little low for your area. Our electricity just went up to .159 per kwh. That's good advice about the pc lamps. While they cost more per bulb, the energy savings more than makes up for it.

I've never used a top-fin filter but I do like the Aqua Clear HOB filters. I find them easy to clean, media-friendly and they do a great job. They are cheaper than canisters, too.

Mark

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
Wow, I was even reccomended the aquaclear brand for my snail tank. The thing that gets difficult to clean is the hole where the powerhead goes into. There's brown algea/ slime down inside it, I can't even get to it with a tooth brush.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
heat and insulation

If you think that heater is what is running up the bills, you can add insulation to the back of the tank, that will help the heater to run a bit less.

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
I don't have a heater on the tank, and everyone does pretty well without it. Thanx for all the advice people.:) I actually decided to remain with the current filter, since it does its job as well as turning the tank over at least 3-4 times per hour.(I checked the ratings on the box; rated for a 60gal/300gph/ My tank is 55gal, so at least 3 times per hour.) So until it breaks down, I'll stick to it.~Angela

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store