Some more sick fish help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Hello all. Was hoping someone could maybe help. I read through many of the disease topics but can't seem to pinpoint what might be happening.

Have a guppy for about 4 months. In a 5 gallon tank with a mystery snail and albino cory All water conditions are fine, tank was cycled. Has been perfectly fine and normal until this afternoon.

Symptoms:
Darkened body color, almost black
Darker bulgy eyes
"Panting"
Dorsal fin in down to the side of the body.
Slightly Puffed "upper body"
Very skinny (sucked in looking) mid section to tail
Laying on its side, barely swimming

Again all water is normal. The only thing somewhat different is that last night I have him several frozen brine shrimp, but it's not the first time i've done that.

I've taken him out of the tank and put him in another tank. Few questions:

1) any idea what might be wrong? is it curable? What should I do?
2) are the other two fish in danger? (baterial or viral?)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bobandfiona

AC Members
Dec 13, 2005
Dallas, TX
I know noone has posted a reply and that can be frustrating. It might help to give more information on the water parameters exactly...instead of "fine"...exact measurements can pinpoint a weird anomaly. Also, the description is good of what the fish looks like, but not common. A close up picture if possible might help.

I am sorry your fish is not doing well, hopefully you can get him healthy again.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
bobandfiona said:
I know noone has posted a reply and that can be frustrating. It might help to give more information on the water parameters exactly...instead of "fine"...exact measurements can pinpoint a weird anomaly. Also, the description is good of what the fish looks like, but not common. A close up picture if possible might help.

I am sorry your fish is not doing well, hopefully you can get him healthy again.

Thank you for the response. I didn't want to be one of the people who does the "please help!" thing, but i am worried about losing the fish.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 7.5
Temp: 78

It's too bad but i don't have a camera.

Truth is he's looking pretty bad, starting to arch his body. Thinking about helping him out of his misery. Any last minute help would be terrific.

Thanks all

Ed

Prsimmon

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2006
Sorry about your fish. Did you test the nitrites? Anything new in the tank? How do you do and how often are water changes?

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Prsimmon said:
Sorry about your fish. Did you test the nitrites? Anything new in the tank? How do you do and how often are water changes?

Nah I don't have a nitrite kit. Nothing new in the tank, only "foreign" thing was the brine shrimp. (which the gup ate himself fat, and I joked that he was going to eat himself to death, could I have been right?)

I do a 25% weekly. Gravel clean and add conditioned tap. Been doing it the same way for 3-4 months.

Can a fish eat itself to death? Or eat something that clogs up the digestive tract?

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
Well,

I find it odd that your ammonia is 0 and your nitrates are 0....you are missing a key testing, nitrites. When your tank cycles and your water is good, your ammonia and nitrites go to 0 but then your nitrates go higher...so I find it odd that your nitrates are also 0....something is missing.

I don't think they could eat themselves, but they could find somethig in the tank I guess. I would get your nitrites tested.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Persimmon said:
Well,

I find it odd that your ammonia is 0 and your nitrates are 0....you are missing a key testing, nitrites. When your tank cycles and your water is good, your ammonia and nitrites go to 0 but then your nitrates go higher...so I find it odd that your nitrates are also 0....something is missing.

I don't think they could eat themselves, but they could find somethig in the tank I guess. I would get your nitrites tested.

I apologize it was a typo (typo and confusion). The nitrite is 0, it's a nitrate test that I don't have.

So nitrites are 0.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
rrkss said:
Does this tank have any live plants, algae problem, or any additional chemical filtration such as an ion exhange resin?

rrkss,

No, 2 small plastic plants. Never any algae at all.

It's a bio-wheel tank with a carbon filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store