Someone please help me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lauriepoo

AC Members
Aug 17, 2020
Hi everyone. First I want to thank anyone that reads this and helps me. My pleco is bad sick. He's almost 9 years old. He's in a 30 gallon tank. Everything was fine until he developed this tumor. It is on his face, right under his eye. It looks like it exploded and it's bleeding and the tank is very cloudy and no matter how many times I change the water and the filters, it is still cloudy. It has to be from him because he's sick. Please tell me what to do. I've spent so much money on new gravel, new filters, Tetra Easy balance, Tetra water clarifier. I bought him 2 new Aquatech filtration systems and they both have 2 filters each, thats 4 filters and I change all 4 filters twice a day, and it doesn't matter. Now I just bout Tetra lifeguard and I'm going to try that. Other than that, I don't know what to do. Please someone help me.

Lauriepoo

AC Members
Aug 17, 2020
What kind of pleco is it? Can you post a picture? What is the temperature, pH, KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I don't know. All I know is that I've done the same thing for him for almost 9 years and now this just suddenly happened. Yes I have pics ills put them

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
The cloudy water might be new tank syndrome so check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Check for small places where the plec could get possibly get stuck in, injure itself and then get infected from bad water quality.
What size is the tank? What kind is the plec?
The plec looks to be a common plecostomus, but I just want to confirm this.

- - - - - - -

Put in 1-2 tablespoons of aquarium salt per 20L (5 gallons) of water in the tank, keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
This many tbs of salt will not harm any fish or shrimp, or plants.

When doing water changes while using salt, add required dose of salt to keep salt/salinity levels stable.

Before adding salt to the tank, do a 75% water change, clean gravel and wipe tank walls down and cut down on feeding.

Reactions: Lauriepoo

Lauriepoo

AC Members
Aug 17, 2020
The cloudy water might be new tank syndrome so check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Check for small places where the plec could get possibly get stuck in, injure itself and then get infected from bad water quality.
What size is the tank? What kind is the plec?
The plec looks to be a common plecostomus, but I just want to confirm this.

- - - - - - -

Put in 1-2 tablespoons of aquarium salt per 20L (5 gallons) of water in the tank, keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
This many tbs of salt will not harm any fish or shrimp, or plants.

When doing water changes while using salt, add required dose of salt to keep salt/salinity levels stable.

Before adding salt to the tank, do a 75% water change, clean gravel and wipe tank walls down and cut down on feeding.
Yes, he's a common pleco. It's a 30 gallon tank. It's freshwater. I didn't know you can use saltwater. Thank you so much. I will try it and let you know what happens

Lauriepoo

AC Members
Aug 17, 2020
I don't know. All I know is that I've done the same thing for him for almost 9 years and now this just suddenly happened. Yes I have pics ills put them
Also, I forgot to mention, He is a common freshwater pleco. I had him for almost 9 years. I've been using the same tap water with Tetra Aqua Safe and Tetra Easy Balance once a month. This just happened suddenly one day. I have been doing water changes every other day, sometimes every day for the past 3 weeks. I've used Tetra Water Clarifier, it didn't work. I've been changing the filters once- twice a day. U cleaned the tank walls. I removed all the old gravel and replaced it with all new gravel. Nothing worked. I searched this and some site said it was "bacterial bloom" so i bought Tetra Lifeguard. I'm using it right now. It says not to use a carbon filter while treating the tank and it's for 5 days. Today is the 3rd day. The water is horribly cloudy. It says the day after last treatment, to change the water, which will be 3 days from now. Should i finish this first? Also, is there anything I'm doing wrong, besides having him in too small a tank? I will get him new one as soon as I have the money to. If not a 150 gallon one, at least one that's definitely bigger. Thank you so much for helping me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store