Something amiss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Monstergoldies

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2019
Oakland MD
You all seem to have a huge base of knowledge in this area, I need it. I have a 55 gallon with some decent sized goldfish taking up residence. I foolishly went with sand as the substrate. I'm running a penguin 350 h.o.band a sunsunhw392. I'm doing a 20 percent water change weekly. The tank had never been completely clear and since I put up the sun sun last week the clouds have taken over it looks like a bacteria bloom on steroids and the fish are suddenly at the top trying to get air . Any help or advice appreciated my fish are my babies I'm wigging out. Thanks for your time

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm guessing your tiny 20% water changes are not keeping up with the food & waste of goldfish. You should have a test kit so you'll know...but even without those numbers, you need to do more frequent & larger water changes. Filtration does not replace clean water!

What size & how many goldfish do you have?

Monstergoldies

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2019
Oakland MD
Didn't want to over change the water and send them into shock, 3 Moore's 3 fantails 4 comets 1 oranda and 2 plecos I lost a comet and an oranda the last 2 days the tank was fine for half a year previously. And size they range from a little over an inch to six inches the bigger ones are almost 3 years old.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry that is not going to work. You will need like a 400 gallon to keep all those fish happy. What kind of plecos are they, some of the more common/cheap ones also grow to 20".
Read this link...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I'm sorry too. Even if they were all very small to start with, it's still too many for long term. You need a plan for now & for the future.

Do you have a friend with a pond that might take your comets? I'm no goldfish expert by any means. I'm not sure if some of your other varieties can live outside in your climate. The plecos can't, but they also can't live in your 55g for much longer. They're poop machines, much as I like them. So are goldfish. This is why your water is cloudy. It's not the new filter, it's all the fish cr@p.

More frequent & larger water changes, & less fish are the only long term answer....or the short term answer too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store