Sparkling Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
Hi all,

I just added a couple of these fellas to my planted 5g. I remember having one a long time ago but at the time I don't think I properly understood how to care for it. I've done research and they seem happy, they love the plants. Have been feeding baby brine and daphnia. Jut wondering if anyone can share some tips, experiences, or any valuable info on keeping these guys happy and healthy.

Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got nothing to add other than it sounds like a nice little setup and I've never seen sparkling gourami for sale. Lucky find or did you get them from a fish group or auction?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use to have them too. From my experience, the males did not get along. I hope you got only 1 or no males.
PS--I think the 5gal is too small for them. A 15 or 20gal would be better.

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
I use to have them too. From my experience, the males did not get along. I hope you got only 1 or no males.
PS--I think the 5gal is too small for them. A 15 or 20gal would be better.
Really? These things are like 3/4 inch at the most, and supposedly only hit 1 -1.5 inches. Half the time I can't even find them in the tank because they're happily hanging out in the plants (heavily planted) but they also aren't shy about coming out and exploring. So far, so good, they seem to get along great.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like you've answered your own question in regards to keeping them happy an healthy.

Great water parameters, live plants, healthy foods to name a few.

ConcentratedPassion

AC Members
Jan 12, 2019
Really? These things are like 3/4 inch at the most, and supposedly only hit 1 -1.5 inches. Half the time I can't even find them in the tank because they're happily hanging out in the plants (heavily planted) but they also aren't shy about coming out and exploring. So far, so good, they seem to get along great.
I think maybe they are thinking of an opaline gourami? I agree the pygmies/sparkling should be fine in your tank. The sexes are something to watch out for though, for sure.

Reactions: The GingerFishman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store