Speaking of fish-smarts....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
The thread about elephantnose fish has given me a few ideas for testing the intelligence of different fish species.....

I wonder how we would define whether a fish is intelligent or not? We could use a simplified version of a human IQ test very easily (with modifications) to test response to stimulus (ink blots for people), problem-solving abilities (spatial-orientation tests, puzzle logic), and vocabulary (both verbal and written testing in people).

To test stimulus, we have the owner-recognition test. Does the fish react differently to its owner than it does another member of the household? A stranger? Would it react differently if there were more than one person there to confuse the issue further?

To test for problem solving capability, we could set up a maze of glass panels in the tank with a reward at the end, much like a rat maze. We could also put said reward underneath an opaque box with a mechanical means to open it, such as a string, giving the fish a puzzle to solve....this would test for tool usage as well, if the mechanism was not directly in contact with the box. Does the fish remember from one time to another the steps it took to solve this puzzle and get its food?

Vocabulary: Well, this is a little harder to test, since most fish don't know how to talk (Mr. Limpitt being the only one I can think of....). However, body language is still language, and many fish have vocalizations or electrical impulses to convey what needs said. This would be a very in-depth study, but most people can tell by looking at a fish if it is healthy or sick, if it's hungry or angry...a study of fish body language and its complexity is in order.

We would not be able to assign human values to this fish IQ test, but I think that if one had the time and resources, it would be a rewarding project to undertake....

(Incidentally, I am writing this as someone who has taken LOTS of cognative-reasoning and spatial orientation IQ tests over the years....gotta love a school system that can't believe a 2 year old can read and write....)

Serj

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NC
Visit site
That's a study that certainly deserves to be done...
There are plenty of universities, etc, performing useless 'scientific' experiments already, so can't we coax one to try something like this? :D

I think e. noses ( and fish in general, perhaps cichlids) could really be 'taught' impressive tricks, unusual communication, recognitions, etc, but few have really put effort into it.

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
There is signifficant study in the area of fish "intellegence". If you live next to a university you might want to check out some of the Ichthyology journals.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
agreed, there is alot of testing done in that area, but it is very hard to draw conclusions on "how smart a fish is"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store