Spray-on bedliner as pond liner?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hello everyone,

I've never posted before, so please forgive any faux pax...

I recently had to move and leave my pond and fishies behind...sniff, sob...and am looking for an alternative to help control my addiction until I can build another permanent, inground pond. I am looking at an 8' diameter, 2' deep galvanized stock tank, roughly 650 gallons, from the feed store. I have read some places that the galvanizing will hurt fish, some places that it is not a problem. Then, I found an advertisement for spray-on bedliner that showed it being used in a fish pond and in shrimp farming tanks, but no actual information, just photos. I read in some of the posts here that it has been used to patch or seam liners, but has anyone used it as a waterproof sealer/liner? Will it leach anything that will hurt aquatic plants or fish? Just your basic pond comets...they are my favorite and hurt less to share with the racoons than koi!

How's that for a long, drawn-out question? Sorry 'bout that.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've never used it or looked into it, but I would call the company and see what they have to say about it, I would guess its a question they've heard before.

I know there are also "spray-on" pond liners that are purpose-made.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Do you have a particular brand you'd recommend? I looked up a few...one I'd have to ship from the UK, and I live in WA, and the other, the reviews were absolutely heinous! It was a 2 part epoxy that, according to the reviews, either arrived already hard as a rock, or was impossible to work with. I have a few e-mails out for info on the spray-on liner, but no response yet.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
I have seen the big blue tank at a feed store out here in WA, but I hate the way it looks :) I don't want to disguise my pond to look natural, more have it be like a huge flowerpot or planter. That is a horrible description, but the best I could come up with.

I have an e-mail out to Rhino-linings regarding that exact photo...if they are growing shrimp in it, that presumably people will eat, the shrimp can't be ingesting bad stuff, right? Or at least I'd hope not.

Now just waiting on a reply...and to see how painful in the pocketbook this whole thing is going to be!

Thanks for the responses...much appreciated.
Jen

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
rubbermaid makes black ones. i forget what brand mine is but it's marbly grey looking

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Ever thought of a huge hard plastic horse troft? We have 2 100gal. water trofts...my LFS has a huge water troft that they have plants and goldfish in (600+ gal.) ...its even got a little pump with a fountain spraying from the center. IDK if this was one of your ideas already or not....hope I helped.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Thanks, everybody for the ideas.
I have some info from Speedliner, saying it will be just like a rubber liner when it dries and will not leach anything into the water, will tolerate constant immersion and occasional freezing, should keep the tank from eventually rusting--at least from the inside out! There is a Line-x dealer out here, and their site specifies using their product in animal waterers and feeders, and outdoor ponds, so I am off to nag them today.

Price tag for Speedliner is 500$...still trying to decide if it is worth it for an allegedly temporary pond...

Thanks again,
Jen

Darlenesq

Registered Member
Aug 25, 2015
I currently have a 5' x 2' galvanized steel livestock water trough as a pond that i bought from feed store. i have had it for three years now and works perfect for my fish and turtles.I did not treat it or put any other liner or coating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store